Sliding Patio Door with mini blinds recommendation?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Grayson73

Sliding Patio Door with mini blinds recommendation?

#1 Post by Grayson73 »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good sliding patio door with mini blinds? I know about the Okna Elegante, but was wondering if this is one of the best or if there are others for under $3k.

Also, does adding the mini-blinds affect the window ratings in any way and will it scratch the glass?

HomeSealed

Re: Sliding Patio Door with mini blinds recommendation?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Okna makes a great door, and there are others that do the blinds in glass as well.
Couple of things to keep in mind, blinds generally are not available if you need a custom size, and yes, the performance of the glass changes. Most switch to hard coat low so that it doesn't scratch which is not as efficient as the typical low-e profiles used. The U factor is not as good for that reason, although one could argue that if the blind usage is optimized based on time of day and season, that loss can be mitigated.

Grayson73

#3 Post by Grayson73 »

Do you know if the switch to hard coat low is true for the Okna Elegante and the offerings from Soft-Lite and Sunrise?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

to my knowledge, yes

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

If you get blinds between the glass, your only option is Hard coat LowE. You cannot get soft coat with blinds, it can be scratched.

Grayson73

#6 Post by Grayson73 »

Thanks for the response. Based on that, would you recommend getting the mini blinds or not?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

Thats up to you. Do you want blinds?

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Grayson73 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:00 pm Thanks for the response. Based on that, would you recommend getting the mini blinds or not?
I alluded to that in my initial post. From a strict energy efficiency standpoint, you'd have to optimize the position of the blinds based on season, time of day, facing direction, etc. If you do, its possible that you could even get better efficiency than the better glass without blinds on its own. With that said, how many people do this? Very few. If you really like the idea of not having separate window treatments but convenience and privacy, they are nice. The energy efficiency aspect is not night and day. I have a door with blinds in my office and I've had 3 of them in my previous home. No complaints.