Lake Home Windows & Patio Doors Replacement

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Monk

Lake Home Windows & Patio Doors Replacement

#1 Post by Monk »

New member first post, been lurking and reading posts for years. We have a second home in TN. out side of Knoxville TN. on a lake. We are looking to replace all 4 wood single pane double hung windows, along with two 5ft patio sliders this summer. We have been wanting to do this for the last 5-6 years. The time is right because we are replacing a back deck and getting the whole house painted. Getting this all done at once and forget about it is my thought. Our priorities are paint the house, replace back deck along with the two patio sliders, and replace 4 windows. Given the Budget..

We have gotten two quotes for the windows and patio sliders. Sunrise the Restorations line and Okna ECO-PRO 600 series. We chose these two Company's to keep the quality high in the products we use in this project. Our thinking also was, if we would use two well known highly respected Companies with great products, we would have a successful outcome?
In this area the dealer for Okna does not carry the 800 line, only the 600 and a fiberglass window and door. After doing our research Okna 800 and Sunrise Restorations are Comparable? I feel the two patio doors are very much a like. The window are where are questions start popping up.

Q1.Okna sale person said the Okna 600 is indeed comparable to the Sunrise Restorations window? Have not seen the 600 in person. We have seen the 800 and the Restorations windows, they seem very close with minor differences. True or False? Just trying to compare Apples to Apples best we can.. Wanted to see what the experts thinks.

Thanks for the help..

HomeSealed

Re: Lake Home Windows & Patio Doors Replacement

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Monk wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:10 pm Our thinking also was, if we would use two well known highly respected Companies with great products, we would have a successful outcome?
ABSOULTELY
Monk wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:10 pm In this area the dealer for Okna does not carry the 800 line, only the 600 and a fiberglass window and door. After doing our research Okna 800 and Sunrise Restorations are Comparable? I feel the two patio doors are very much a like. The window are where are questions start popping up.
Comparable, yes.
Monk wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:10 pm Q1.Okna sale person said the Okna 600 is indeed comparable to the Sunrise Restorations window? Have not seen the 600 in person. We have seen the 800 and the Restorations windows, they seem very close with minor differences. True or False? Just trying to compare Apples to Apples best we can.. Wanted to see what the experts thinks.

Thanks for the help..
The 600 is very similar to the 800. Its been out for a few years now and has a good track record for performance. Apples to apples, the Okna 600 will be a little better than the Restorations in performance metrics, but they are close. Both are very good options to consider.

Monk

#3 Post by Monk »

Thanks for the information on the Okna 600.

Q2.Other than Sunrise is there another window to compare with the Okna 600?

Restorations patio door and Okna pricing are within $50.00 of each other, no big differences. On the windows the differences is over $1,000.00? Enough to take a hard look at Okna and the dealer in Knoxville TN Window Works. The windows they carry are Okna/Starmark for the last 3 year, Alside which the sale person said they are getting away from because of quality issues and Window Mart never heard of this window company.

Q3.No idea if this tells anything about the Okna dealer in my are. Window Works?
Q4. Why does Okna not give the whole line to a dealer in an area?
Q5. What is the HiMark line from Okna? Called Okna a few day ago to see if they had a dealer in that carried the 800 line or a HiMark dealer in our area. NO to both Questions.
Q6. Any thing we can do to check on this Dealer before buying from them. They left a reference list of customer to call. I will call a few of their customers to see what their experience was with Window Works.. I am sure I will get all positive responses. A+ rating for BBB. Family owned 2005 2nd generation owned and operated.

Thanks everyone for the help..I promise we are almost done with our questions.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Usually a company offering a high end window such as sunrise or okna, the dealer is vetted for competence and reliability as part of the criteria required to become a dealer. I think you are good.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Monk wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:13 am Thanks for the information on the Okna 600.

Q2.Other than Sunrise is there another window to compare with the Okna 600?

Restorations patio door and Okna pricing are within $50.00 of each other, no big differences. On the windows the differences is over $1,000.00? Enough to take a hard look at Okna and the dealer in Knoxville TN Window Works. The windows they carry are Okna/Starmark for the last 3 year, Alside which the sale person said they are getting away from because of quality issues and Window Mart never heard of this window company.

Q3.No idea if this tells anything about the Okna dealer in my are. Window Works?
Q4. Why does Okna not give the whole line to a dealer in an area?
Q5. What is the HiMark line from Okna? Called Okna a few day ago to see if they had a dealer in that carried the 800 line or a HiMark dealer in our area. NO to both Questions.
Q6. Any thing we can do to check on this Dealer before buying from them. They left a reference list of customer to call. I will call a few of their customers to see what their experience was with Window Works.. I am sure I will get all positive responses. A+ rating for BBB. Family owned 2005 2nd generation owned and operated.

Thanks everyone for the help..I promise we are almost done with our questions.
Q2: Sure there are others. The Softlite Elements comes to mind immediately, but there are other top performing windows. Is there a reason why you feel the need to get more options at this point? Most folks start out with a bunch of rotten choices, you already have two winners to pick from.... If you are saying that the Okna line is coming in at the lower price, that may be a win-win for you in this case. Definitely do vet both dealers though, also ensure that product options and install details are apples to apples. Many Sunrise dealers jump right to full frame installs, so that could be a differentiator in the price if the Okna guy is pockets.

Q3: Not familiar with them, but high end manufacturer generally reserve their high level products for reputable dealers that have been around, are solid and pay bills, supply volume, and have a good rep.

Q4: Various reasons, although ultimately window manufacturers try to serve two thought processes: 1) sell as many windows as possible, while 2) offering exclusive products to quality dealers. The 800 and 600 would be pretty redundant in most cases, only a few minor options and details separate them. Either is an excellent choice.

Q5: Going back to Q4, HiMark started as a brand network, and still is to some degree, but is also the current moniker for their newest 1000 series window. If you have access to a dealer that sells the Starmark and 600, there isn't much you are missing from the 1000/800 dealer options.

Q6: So far so good on the history and BBB rating. Check out their google ratings, facebook, trade organization memberships, etc. That will all be a good indicator.

Monk

#6 Post by Monk »

My thoughts on seeing if there might be another gold star Window MFG out there. That we did not think about or know about. At this point we are sticking with Okna or Sunrise. The Sunrise dealer we know and have had work done my them. Always top shelf at a very far price. Okna being under 1K for same/like/better products has us digging into getting to know this dealer before spending dollars with them. Been burned before and had to live with consequences before. Might just talk with with the Sunrise dealer to see if he could meet us in the middle of the price differences. Full Frame install, I have never heard this phrase? Nothing in the Okna quote outlining this. As a potential quote omission.
Can not say Thank you enough for all this great info...Helps a bunch..

robert8WP

#7 Post by robert8WP »

The 600 is very similar to the 800. Its been out for a few years now and has a good track record for performance. Apples to apples, the Okna 600 will be a little better than the Restorations in performance metrics, but they are close. Both are very good options to consider.
You're right on that one. But I would prefer Restorations, cause I see them more reliable in long period of time, and because I've tried both of them. And talking of which, here is a company which is engaged in glass replacement near me and I'm thinking about making an order for shed's windows replacement. Did you hear something about them?
Last edited by robert8WP on Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

We’d love to here more about your problems.