Big project - quotes all over the place

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
weapau

Big project - quotes all over the place

#1 Post by weapau »

Hello,

This seems like a great resource, and I've already learned a lot through searching and browsing. For reference we will 28 windows total, mostly double hungs, but with two large (65x60) pictures included. have a specific questions if one of the pro's can help out:

Can anyone let me know the sash width of some of the major window brands? Also, can you comment on the relative quote?

Soft-lite Imperial LS (29k quote)
Surise Restorations (35k quote)
Alliance Hawthorn (22k quote)
Starmark (Okna 900?) (81k!!! quote)
Okna 800/600 (no quote so far)

I understand we'll have to do a replacement install, but some of the double hungs are quite tall, and I don't want an enormous reduction in glass area, in width especially.

I did reply to another thread, but I'll ask here - how wide of a window do you start to get concerned about drooping/warping sashes? Some of my double-hungs will approach 36" wide. I have also two pictures to replace that will be ~65" wide.

Thanks!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Big project - quotes all over the place

#2 Post by masterext »

The alliance hawthorne does NOT belong on the same list as the others. The other options are much better windows.
We cant comment on price since there are far too many variables. You do have a list of some very solid options though with the exception of the hawthorne. Where are you located?

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1

At this point, it would seem like you have a couple of nice windows grouped together in the Restorations and SL Imperial options. As Masterext said, drop the Hawthorn.

As far as the Starmark, the new iteration is the Evo (7500), the 900 is no longer made and shares virtually nothing with the new product other than composite status and similar glass offerings. Its (Starmark Evo) truly a phenomenal window IMO as well as by all performance metrics, and should command a premium price. Obviously this seems like quite a difference even when considering that. Make sure that you are comparing apples to apples in terms of install details, quantities, etc. That's a hefty margin to make up once again, but perhaps the vinyl guys have you with a bunch of 2 lite sliders instead of twin casements on the SM, pockets vs full tearouts with new casing and composite exterior trim, etc... On the surface this seems nuts, but again, you could add a significant amount if quantities and options are off.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to the previous comments on both ends.

Can we get some more insight to the project specifications?

weapau

#5 Post by weapau »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm in SE Wisconsin.

Brandon, by the way, Joe was out today. He did a great job.

Thanks!

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Total slam dunk. If you can use HomeSealed, do. There isn't a better shop in Wisconsin. Hands down.

randy

#7 Post by randy »

Another recommendation for HomeSealed. Replacing your windows is a big project, and one that should only be done once. Doing it right the first time is a no-brainer, and you won’t find a better company to do business with.

weapau

#8 Post by weapau »

This is a lot of hype!

They successfully brought our window project timeline forward 6+ months. Let’s hope the install goes as smoothly as the sales process.