Vinyl window lead time in Philadelphia suburbs

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Jen-Phila

Vinyl window lead time in Philadelphia suburbs

#1 Post by Jen-Phila »

Hi there,
I'm wondering if it's possible to have medium to high quality double hung vinyl replacement windows installed (including estimates, ordering and installation) in a 5 week time frame in the Philadelphia suburb area? Or if that's just the most ridiculous thing anyones ever asked! :?

We found a contractor we like who could do Viwinco Cambridge in 3-4 weeks or Okna 600 in 7-8 weeks.
The Okna is definitely our preference, but the timeline is pretty important for logistical reasons and we'd love to get in done in 5, could maybe swing 6 weeks.

It was naive to think that contractors could install any kind of window and that windows were readily available, I had no clue! Wish I knew a few months ago what I know now.

Wondering if there's another brand/type of window we could look into that would have a shorter lead time?
Any suggestions?

Thanks for this forum! I knew nothing about windows 2 weeks ago (and still not a lot) but the information here is very helpful!

Windows on Washington

Re: Vinyl window lead time in Philadelphia suburbs

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What is the 5 week lead time cut off? Baby coming?

I never want to go to a surgeon that is a scratch golfer or a contractor that isn't busy...or a window manufacturer that can turn it around is record time either.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

The window pros that specialize in mostly windows and doors are getting crushed by the demand right now. Our industry has seen a rapture of skilled labor over the last 10-years with the older guys retiring (physically unable to perform work anymore) and very few getting into the trades. It's compounded by how strong construction has been since 2012. Many installers that normally might be working for someone else as a subcontractor have either started their own business, opened back up their own business, or just by word of mouth are booked solid, thus we dealers have very few options when it comes to how much volume we can take on installation wise.

I would say 10-weeks is fast turn around lead time right now with 12-16 weeks being my situation.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Because of covid there are supply issues and they are really having an affect on lead times. Then on top of that there is huge demand. A 5 week lead time is extremely unrealistic.

Jen-Phila

#5 Post by Jen-Phila »

Windows on Washington wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:01 pm What is the 5 week lead time cut off? Baby coming?

I never want to go to a surgeon that is a scratch golfer or a contractor that isn't busy...or a window manufacturer that can turn it around is record time either.
I hear you - as I mentioned, I wish I knew a few months ago what I know now. I also see the value in hiring the right professionals for the job - hence you can imagine why I'm on a vinyl windows forum and not at the Home depot!

Without getting too personal, the timeline is based on babies/small kids and moving and needing to replace lead windows that are chipping - yes we had a professional lead test and I know we could keep the windows closed but that's not necessarily feasible for us - and I'm not comfortable with the chipping so they need to go before we move in.
Delaware Mike wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:14 am I would say 10-weeks is fast turn around lead time right now with 12-16 weeks being my situation.
masterext wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:02 am A 5 week lead time is extremely unrealistic.
Thank you both for the insight and reasoning - I figured as much, but wanted to ask.

At this point, we're tied to a timeline - we could maybe push to 7 weeks but with extra cost to us logistically. And then we're in holiday season and that affects availability of our other contractors/movers/cleaners

I know from reading this forum and others the opinions on more builder grade/ national windows like Pella are not high but I'm wondering if they are faster to get.

I'm sure it will pain any of you to answer this, but is there a best of the least quality you'd go for if you had to?

Maybe we'll have to go with the Viwinco Cambridge.
Im not sure if the problem with those is they're drafty/our heating bill will be higher or if we'll have to replace them in 10 years. If it's the latter, it still will likely be close for us financially to just go with a worse option now and replace in 10 years and getting our family settled in the new house vs footing 2 mortgages for a few months and living in a state of boxes
Last edited by Jen-Phila on Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jen-Phila

#6 Post by Jen-Phila »

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Without downplaying the lead concerns too much, they are minimal. I know that we say "lead" and/or "mold" and all of our concerns bubble to the surface, but the risk really is almost non-existent (on the lead stuff) if you keep it out of the children's mouths.

That all said, you need to do what is right for you and your family.

Jen-Phila

#8 Post by Jen-Phila »

Windows on Washington wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:49 pm Without downplaying the lead concerns too much, they are minimal. I know that we say "lead" and/or "mold" and all of our concerns bubble to the surface, but the risk really is almost non-existent (on the lead stuff) if you keep it out of the children's mouths.

That all said, you need to do what is right for you and your family.
Yep - its a larger concern for crawling and younger children who eat off the floor. Philadelphia has a huge lead problem https://www.inquirer.com/news/inq/toxic ... 70618.html
I've done a lot of research and talk to pediatricians about lead and know people whose kids have high lead levels unfortunately, so yep, gotta do whats right for my family - and that sounds like it might mean subpar windows! :cry:

Sounds like I'll see you all in 10 years when I come back to ask for advice on our replacement replacement windows

Thanks for insight thus far, again if anyone does have any recommendations for the best of the worst, or easily available windows, I know it goes against your regular recommendations but I'd appreciate it.

fridge2020

#9 Post by fridge2020 »

Its colder now, are you planning to open your windows much? If they aren't operated (causing dust)and there's no paint chips laying around, the risk is no different than it would be if the windows were new. You could also put some old school 3m plastic insulator kits over them for peace of mind. The installation is going to be a day or two and as long as you pick a certified lead safe company to do it, they'll likely leave it cleaner than it was when they arrived. I get the safety thing 100%, but the risk here is negligible and you are talking about compromising on an investment of several thousand dollars. I assume the other surfaces of the home have all tested negative for lead?

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Again, you will have to do what is right for your level of concern, but fridge2020 is correct.

The vast majority of BLL elevations in children are from poorly maintained homes. Do window that are originally lead paint containing and have PAINTED (important distinction here) jambs produce some lead dust (if there is lead paint), yes.

Even most of the windows from the last 70 years will have some sort of metal jamb liner on them and there is no dust being generator from an unpainted window sash stile and a metal jamb liner. A HEPA vacuuming of the sill prior to closing them and keeping them closed would eliminate the production of better than 99% of any lead containing materials. Short of the kiddos chewing on the window sills, they won't be getting any lead exposure from the windows at that point.

Again...you have to do what is right for your level of concern, but the lead isn't coming off the window to attack the occupants. Many of the studies on elevated BLL were done in government controlled housing where the children were crawling around on the floor and the homes were otherwise poorly maintained and cleaned. As a result, they were traipsing through a sea of lead and then doing as kids do...putting their hands in their mouths.

Either way, the Viwinco isn't a "bad" product by any stretch. You are in pretty good shape either way. Just want to be factual about the levels of danger associated with lead in an otherwise well maintained home. You are probably in more danger from a new plastic shower curtain than lead in a well maintained home.

Ricknez

#11 Post by Ricknez »

Its was much more of an issue in public housing. Further, i know many contractors who have worked around lead paint for 40 years and not one has issues with lead. Unless your children are chewing on the sills or the walls or the doors for that matter, which i dont see happening, i probably wouldnt worry about it.
Lead times are at least 8-10 weeks.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

We should acknowledge that lead does pose a larger risk to a developing brain than an adult brain....

Therefore...I am still at risk because I am told that my brain is still not developed...well...that is what the wife says.

All things being equal, what the poster said above is true. Much of the disastrous studies on lead were done in public housing where buildings were massively dilapidated and falling apart. I am sure you house is none of those things.

This is less about the scheduling and more to just give you general piece of mind is all.