Okna 500 dx estimate

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
indy500

Re: Okna 500 dx estimate

#31 Post by indy500 »

I expect to pay for the PVC trim separately. The siding contractor wants to replace siding above the window trim and PVC trim around the window in one job. As I understand I have to ask the window installer permission to add the trim and they should be installing the trim? Do I need a coil trim on the top or around PVC trim?
Coil wrap was not done well on couple windows, looks crooked at the top and caulk is missing on wrap seams. Can I request the necessary corrections? Seems like no one at the company wanted to answer emails and phone calls.

HomeSealed

#32 Post by HomeSealed »

Depends what you mean by "seams". A seam where one flat piece lays over another on the same plane would not be caulked. Corner joints generally are. On the sloppiness factor, express your concerns. I'd try to get a project manager or higher out to take a look, the installer will probably just tell you its good.

On the PVC stuff, to be clear, are you talking about solid cellular PVC trim boards (like Azek or similar) to replace the cedar, or are you talking about PVC coated aluminum for cladding? ... or something different?

Either way, if there are siding and trim boards being replaced I agree it would make sense to do that all at once. Would have made even more sense to do the entire project at once, but if you are replacing siding on the entire house or even a full section, its probably a different installer and again makes good sense.

indy500

#33 Post by indy500 »

Yes, I plan on using 100% cellular PVC trim, just around that bumpout window with two side by side.
I do not like the look of aluminum coil, it does not adhere to the wood and there is nothing under it, no silicone, water gets to the window behind that coil wrap.
Is it possible to get rid of coil wrap and replace it with PVC trim for cleaner look?
Top of the windows facing patio that were wrapped look awful, horizontal lines are not straight, every window has different shape and the house looks odd with these new style windows.
The installer did not have the sense of proportions at all.
I really do not know what to do. Feel like it was a wrong investment that did not improve the appearance of the house and there is no way to go back.
Could you post some pictures of the coil wrap jobs you did?

Thank you.

HomeSealed

#34 Post by HomeSealed »

If the workmanship is lacking, again, I don't think it would be out of line to bring that to the attention of management and ask for corrections. Have you spoken to anyone yet about your concerns?

As far as the PVC vs aluminum, its hard to say without knowing/seeing the exact job details, how the exterior trim boards line up with the new windows, is the old frame still present, etc. This is another area that could/should be discussed. You may or may not be able to avoid the use of aluminum completely, but it can be minimized in many cases.

TheWindowNerd

#35 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Install warranty: one year is the minimum. two years is best. beyond two years you are possibly paying a premium for the extended warranty that is not worth it.
IMHO.

indy500

#36 Post by indy500 »

Here is the picture of the window layout. Installer cut part of the existing trim while removing old window with the saw. I am glad I had not had new trim installed prior to windows replacement, it'd be ruined. I spoke to the owner of the company but he will not come to take a look at the issues. He said the installer has to come back and redo coil wrap that was done wrong. Two windows have different jambs width on the top, sides and the bottom, quarter inch. It was not the case with the old windows. Too many mistakes for being in business for 30 years.

The coil is tight on the top and the half of the side height, the rest hangs free and lets water run along the trim boards. Is there a way to minimize the coil trim if I can't remove it and install PVC trim? Does coil have to lay on the top of the board or I could have it reduced to narrower strip? Would it hold the caulk/sealant?
The left side of the window had an over 1 inch gap along the wall and it was not filled from inside. Foam insulation was done from exterior only. Not sure if condensation will not collect in the that cavity in cold temperatures.
The installation warranty is for one year only. If I leave a glowing review on Google, I would get another year of warranty. :)
Attachments
IMG_4735.JPG
(105.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet

HomeSealed

#37 Post by HomeSealed »

The sides, top, and sill are three different profiles for trim. Ideally sides and top have a matching face width, but the install circumstances can affect that so it isn't necessarily incorrect. Certainly loose pieces where water can infiltrate need to be fixed.

Do you have any pictures of these other items that you mentioned?

HomeSealed

#38 Post by HomeSealed »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:38 am Install warranty: one year is the minimum. two years is best. beyond two years you are possibly paying a premium for the extended warranty that is not worth it.
IMHO.
Wayne, you have been doing this for a long time, when customers older than 2 years call you with service issues do you tell them "I'm sorry, but your warranty was only 2 years?" I know that you do a great job so you likely have few install related calls, but I'm sure that there must be some... Just curious.

For me, I know that I'm going to go ahead and help those people anyway, so why sell myself short on the warranty?
Last edited by HomeSealed on Thu May 06, 2021 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

indy500

#39 Post by indy500 »

Coil wrap. The trim above was the same as on other two windows that were done very well. Sorry, have no pictures of them with me.
Attachments
thumbnail.jpg
(75.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet

HomeSealed

#40 Post by HomeSealed »

Is this last photo an example of your concern regarding the size of the trim? Do you have a before pic?

indy500

#41 Post by indy500 »

This is last year.
Attachments
Before.JPG
(254.96 KiB) Not downloaded yet

indy500

#42 Post by indy500 »

yes, this is the example for the window wrap I don't like. Photo does not give justice. It is very evident when you look at the picture in person.

indy500

#43 Post by indy500 »

here are the pictures of the coil trim around front window.
Attachments
right side.jpg
(58.45 KiB) Not downloaded yet
left side.jpg
(80.2 KiB) Not downloaded yet

TheWindowNerd

#44 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Not stellar workmanship.
The last pictures are a lot scary as to water management. But I am not on site to confirm what scares me.
You need theNerd or DE Mike. Mike is an amazing craftsman.

theWindowNerd

toddinmn

#45 Post by toddinmn »

Hard to tell exactly what is going on by the pics, but the coil does look very short. More pictures would help preferably al title further back.