NE Florida - Assistance Needed

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ihearttacos

NE Florida - Assistance Needed

#1 Post by ihearttacos »

Looking for your perspective for a NE Florida window and door project. Impact resistant is NOT a requirement here.

Need:
Replacing all (original) windows and doors on a 25 head old house.
Around 20 windows of varying sizes, including a normal sized half round, and a larger half round with legs.
Two sliding glass patio doors, one about 8 ft the other about 10 ft.

Received:
Multiple quotes from various places, ranging from $20k up to $58k.
Window World: 4000 Series - around $20k
Miracle Window: Regency Conservation - around $50k
Renewal by Andersen: unsure of model(s) - around $58k
Eastern Architectural (EAS): 1400 Series windows w/ 650 Series doors - around $21.5k
CWS Aria (SH) 610 windows w/ Aria 8800 doors - around $24k
Soft-Lite Barcelona (SH) windows w/ PGT 5470 doors - around $28.5k
CWS Aria (DH) 650 windows w/ PGT 5470 doors - around $29k (different installer than 1st CWS bid)
CWS Aria (SH) 610 windows w/ PGT 5470 doors - around $27k (different installer than 1st CWS bid)

Note:
I’m not partial on single vs double hung.
I plan on being in this house for the next 20 years.
I’d like to do this once, correctly.
I understand CWS and PGT have a bigger presence down here than some other companies.
I know little, but have heard good things about Soft-Lite.
I know even less about Soft-Lite’s Barcelona line.
I can’t find a lot of information about EAS, and their site is less than accommodating.
I’ve pretty much ruled out RBA, WW, MW.

Looking for recommendations overall, and in terms of value. Is there any reason to pay the Soft-Lite premium? Is EAS a great deal here? Or is a package that includes CWS and PGT my best bet for non-impact windows in FL?

Sincerely,
Taco Lover

TheWindowNerd

Re: NE Florida - Assistance Needed

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Me too, love tacos.

I looked at the CWS web site. Warranty looks okay. The website does not have depth to it, like "who we are", "history".
Also glaringly missing is any structural test reports and AL test results. It has never failed that this is a bad sign.
They night be a good Florida window, like jalousies in south Florida, but it would not be acceptable up here.

theWindowNerd.com

ihearttacos

#3 Post by ihearttacos »

Thank you for the response. Given your location, do you have any exposure with Soft-Lite, and their product lines and warranty?

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Soft Lite was the first high performance window that I migrated to.
Their lack of QC and service drove me from the relationship. Had the best sales rep ever.
I moved on to Okna, Sunrise and Vytex. Currently we are still active dealers with Okna and Vytex. We are super fussy about product and the relationship we have with a vendor.

Soft lite still has production issues, as per Matt who installs a ton of them. If I did not have a better option, they would be a good option.
wayne

ihearttacos

#5 Post by ihearttacos »

Thank you for the perspective. Haven’t heard about SL’s QC issues in my readings thus far.

Makes my Eastern Architectural vs CWS vs Soft-Lite decision harder. Thought I was leaning the Soft-Lite route even with the slight premium, but this makes me pause.

ajethostetler

#6 Post by ajethostetler »

Hopefully you don't mind me jumping on this thread. Did you decide on which windows to settle on? I live in NE Florida as well, and have gotten quotes for EAS (including the Bertha series), PGT, and Simonton 5500. Should I consider finding a company that sells/installs anther window? Simonton seems to be the most popular for my quotes, as every company has come back with at least one option for them.

ihearttacos

#7 Post by ihearttacos »

Your timing is interesting, because I’m back browsing again. I had settled on a CWS (Aria) window / PGT (5470) door job. It turns out the Soft Lite were non impact and I had a hard time justifying the $5500 premium.
I got a call from the company this week however, stating that the PGT door lead time is now like 6 months. They want to know if I’d be willing to replace the PGT doors (currently have one 8 ft 2 panel, and one 10 ft 4 panel) with something else, either Eastern Architectural or CWS, at no additional charge. PGT seemed like the best bet from my online browsing.
This guy initially pushed/recommended Eastern, but there seems to be more info out there about CWS. So now I can A) keep the PGT doors with longer lead time, B) do CWS Aria doors to go with the CWS windows, or C) Eastern Architectural doors (all non impact).

ajethostetler

#8 Post by ajethostetler »

Alright, I’m hopefully not far from making a decision, but I have to ask. Who did you get a Soft-Lite quote from? I’m in Jax, and I think the one company that deals in Soft-Lite only installs vinyl siding. We aim to have our vertical panels, gutters, and garage door replaced at the same time. Anybody know any Soft-Lite or Sunrise installers in NE Florida willing to give a quote?

Also, for the experts on the forum... how would you as a homeowner tackle a full exterior job? Separate jobs for windows, siding, gutters, etc? Or a “turn-key” company? I’ve pretty much gotten four quotes, ranging from windows with “some” siding to an entire strip down to the plywood, windows, house wrap, new Hardie panels, and gutters/covers. Should I piece out each job separately with “specialty” companies or go all-in-one?

ihearttacos

#9 Post by ihearttacos »

Quote was from American Window Products. Soft Lite Barcelona series. They provided me a bid for non impact, and it was a bit pricier than some of their other offerings (EAS, CWS, PGT).

ihearttacos

#10 Post by ihearttacos »

I think the SL NFRC specs were similar to other manufacturers, but I was told their selling point was air infiltration (or lack of).