Window Replacement Replacements

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ajethostetler

Window Replacement Replacements

#1 Post by ajethostetler »

I live in NE Florida, and am looking to replace 23-27 old aluminum windows (including two 71"x60" pictures) with new vinyl. Most of the quotes have been for Simonton 5500, and one very detailed initial quote includes specifying which type of window in every location. I'm considering trying to save some money by changing some single hung and sliders to picture windows (we *rarely* open some of them and never open all of them).
First, is this an okay idea?
Second, say a few years down the road a rogue baseball decides to crash through one of the windows. Would the cost of repairing or replacing a damaged single or double hung/slider/picture window vary a lot? More than the initial savings of going with a picture?

If these questions seem odd, the background is that we have a FL room at the back of our house (with three sets of two windows) which we've converted to a second den/fitness room. The only times we've opened the windows is when the AC went out or we burned something and had to air out the whole house. If we could exchange at least some of them for picture windows, we'd have a better view outside, better energy saving (from what I've read), and less maintenance. Same for the garage. I could replace the sliders with single hung or pictures.
Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

toddinmn

Re: Window Replacement Replacements

#2 Post by toddinmn »

Sliders typically cost more than single hungs. Picture windows will be cheaper than both but would cost more to replace the glass. Weather or not it works is up to you , I would consider the apoearNce of the house especially when mixing sliders and single hungs.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

toddinmn wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:20 pm Sliders typically cost more than single hungs. Picture windows will be cheaper than both but would cost more to replace the glass. Weather or not it works is up to you , I would consider the appearance of the house from the exterior especially when mixing sliders and single hungs.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd probably choose the operators based on how you plan to use them, and with some thought as to how a potential buyer may view that down the road in the event that you move. Non-functioning windows where functioning windows are commonly installed may be detrimental in that aspect. As far as the pricing, I agree with the structure that Todd described, however I'd caution that in all likelihood the pricing for a pw vs dh/sh vs sl all at the same size is going to be pretty close. Some companies charge the same for each of those, or maybe a few dollars difference. Where significant savings can be had is in consolidating the number of windows, so using sliders or pw's in place of a twin double hung for instance. It sounds like you may already be aware and considering that, and that is definitely the biggest way to reduce cost.

randy

#5 Post by randy »

Those Yankees don’t understand the south. :lol:

Since it’s so hot and muggy down here, picture windows are very common in lieu of operators, where they are allowed. The problem can be with size and/or proximity to the floor requiring tempered glass in a picture window that wouldn’t be required in a single hung.

Resale value very rarely suffers for substituting picture windows for single hungs or sliders in my experience, since the only time windows are really opened is after a hurricane or tropical storm comes through and knocks out the electricity.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

randy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:35 pm Those Yankees don’t understand the south. :lol:

Since it’s so hot and muggy down here, picture windows are very common in lieu of operators, where they are allowed. The problem can be with size and/or proximity to the floor requiring tempered glass in a picture window that wouldn’t be required in a single hung.

Resale value very rarely suffers for substituting picture windows for single hungs or sliders in my experience, since the only time windows are really opened is after a hurricane or tropical storm comes through and knocks out the electricity.
I'll defer to you completely on that Randy, makes sense. We definitely open our windows a lot more up here based on the sound of it.

ajethostetler

#7 Post by ajethostetler »

Thanks for the insight, guys. Resale isn't a worry for us, because we plan on being here for the duration. And we'd at least make sure there are some vent/escape options in each room. One quote we got mentioned about $x per opening (indicating type isn't relevant) and another with a full spreadsheet listing price for every type. While the regular sized windows don't have much cost difference, the larger 71x60 slider is about 25% more than the picture. Of course, I don't think the picture window option is automatically impact rated.

Yes, Randy, the heat and humidity keep us from opening our windows much. You mentioned proximity to the floor requiring tempered glass. Do you mean to be in code, impact glass is needed? or just that it's a really good idea?

randy

#8 Post by randy »

I was just making reference to the fact that tempered glass is required when the glass is within 18” of the floor AND over 9 sq. ft. It has to meet both conditions, and sometime that changing tall single hung windows to picture windows will cause the upgrade requirement. It sounds like your slider conversion won’t have a tempered glass requirement.