Which windows should I install, replacement or new construction windows?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bera

Which windows should I install, replacement or new construction windows?

#1 Post by bera »

Hi Pro's,

I have total 20 windows including 12 windows with the vinyl siding need to be replaced on my 20 years townhouse. The most proposals I got are the replacement windows. But one contractor told me that I should use the new construction windows to replace these 12 windows with the vinyl siding for quality of installation. Other windows with wood or stucco can be used by replacement windows. I'm concerned that the siding may crack and break during installing new construction window process as it caulked and sealed into place. Please let me know your opinion. Thank you!

toddinmn

Re: Which windows should I install, replacement or new construction windows?

#2 Post by toddinmn »

Finned windows is typically the way to go when the siding is being replaced.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Why are you worried about the siding cracking if you are going to replace it anyway?

I'll say this, I'd recommend consistency across the board, meaning all 20 as "new construction", or all 20 as replacement. There may be compelling reasons to go one way or the other based on your specific circumstances. You mentioned stucco, and that would be one reason to potentially avoid full frames, and you would want to consider your interior woodwork as well. Many contractors will want to replace that with new construction windows, or at minimum remove and reinstall where some reconditioning may be needed (fill nail holes, replace a damaged piece, etc).

New construction is the most comprehensive (and costly), but replacement can avoid many potential issues. All depends on which carries more weight in your situation

bera

#4 Post by bera »

Sorry HomeSealed, I didn't explain it clearly. I'm only going to replace 20 windows not the siding. The contractor told me that the 12 windows next to the vinyl siding should be replaced by new construction windows, and other 8 windows next to wood or stucco wall should use the replacement windows. All window frames are made by wood and in good shape. How should I choose?

Hi toddinmn, Finned windows are the replacement windows, right? Sorry for this stupid question. I have no idea about the windows and found this web site very helpful.

Thank you all!

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

That makes more sense, thanks for clarifying.

"Finned" windows are used for new construction style installation, not "replacement".

Going back to my original recommendation, I'd opt for the same Install type throughout the home. In terms of which way, this is a very loose recommendation as I've not seen your home, but I'd probably go replacement for the following reasons:
- Siding is not being replaced (yes, removal and reinstallation of it could result in damage)
- Part of the home is stucco and that presents some issues with full frame installation
- You stated that the existing wood frames are in good shape.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

If the siding is not being replaced and the wood frames are idea for inserts I’d probably go that route.
A finned window is used in new construction and old construction . To use it in old construction the exterior trim needs to be removed and if the siding butts up to the window frame ( no exterior trim) the siding needs to be cut back or unzipped . A “full” framed window can have fins or not , but the original frame comes out. An insert uses the existing frame and typically needs no modification to the exterior or into or trim . It gets a little confusing since many use the full frame terms to describe both finned and non finned applications.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Just to clarify with this talk about new construction and old construction...
New construction "style" is often used interchangeably with "full frame", or "full tear-out", and refers to the window being installed into the rough opening with a nail fin, regardless of whether the home is new or old.

I definitely recommend getting installation detail on your contract whichever route you choose, as different people use different verbiage, and sometimes with bad intentions.
HomeSealed wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:00 pm

"Finned" windows are used for new construction style installation, not "replacement".

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

In new construction n integral fin install makes sense. In retro/replacement doing an install without fin is fine.
All the above have to be done right and have no water leaks over the life cycle of the install.

theWindowNerd