Whole house replacement

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
EndTheFed1984

Re: Whole house replacement

#16 Post by EndTheFed1984 »

I haven't been able to find much info on the structural data. They have AAMA on their website and I was able to find the data but I don't know what all the numbers mean. There is no silver or gold indicator... https://fgiaonline.org/cpd?page=1&manuf ... dards=null If you can help me decipher this I would be grateful!

The windows that are being removed are wood with an exterior aluminum wrap.

What is the "best" caulk?
They said they would only use fiberglass if the opening was to wide for foam. Should I specify that fiberglass is not to be used?

TheWindowNerd

#17 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I dont think I would use someone if I have to specify industry best practices to them.
Closed cell polyurthane Window and door foam, applied with a pro gun.

"They said they would only use fiberglass if the opening was to wide for foam. Should I specify that fiberglass is not to be used?" Here is my answer to that lame statement, if you measure it properly the gaps will not be to wide.

Best caulk: Quad, Quad Max, medium modulus silicone, there are others. Ask them what they use, brand and series, we will comment then.

EndTheFed1984

#18 Post by EndTheFed1984 »

Thanks Nerd,

It's not that I have to spell this out, it's that I want it indicated in the contract that these materials will be used so they don't cheap out on me once I sign the contract. I'm just anal...

I agree that if the windows are measured correctly then FG shouldn't have to be used.

I think they said they use Quad Max but I will verify.

Windows on Washington

#19 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1.

If its too wide for foam, somebody fumbled the measurements. Quad Max is just fine.

randy

#20 Post by randy »

The guys are right, of course. Properly measured and manufactured windows will allow for foam application, which is superior to fiberglass in every way.

TheWindowNerd

#21 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Randy,
Hope you are well and joyful

What do you like to use for exterior caulk?

randy

#22 Post by randy »

Hey Wayne, I’m blessed beyond measure brother. Hope you’re doing well.

We prefer OSI Quad Max or Novaflex. I’ve been buying the SDI by the pallet lately to ensure we have it when we need it.

EndTheFed1984

#23 Post by EndTheFed1984 »

They said they use OSI quad. Should I insist on quad max?

Windows on Washington

#24 Post by Windows on Washington »

We still use Quad. Take that for what its worth.

HomeSealed

#25 Post by HomeSealed »

Either is fine, regular quad has a bit stronger odor and isn't suitable for interior use (max is good on either). Regular quad is great on the exterior, most installers that I know still prefer it... Availability may play a role as well. There are significant caulk shortages especially on colors, so there may not even be an option. Incidentally, that may have something to do with the wording in their description, another product (with similar performance and quality) may need to be substituted based on availability.

EndTheFed1984

#26 Post by EndTheFed1984 »

Ok thanks all! I'll let you know how it turns out in the fall... Hopefully I didn't make a mistake going with the low bid.

I did speak with the Richlin rep regarding the structural ratings. What they said was silver and gold are the same standards as far as performance, but to get gold you have to test numerous different window sizes and pay for the certification. Made sense to me and feel OK proceeding based on the other data I gathered.

I also questioned him about two installer options I had for these windows ($6000 apart for the job) and he said both are great installers. For whatever that is worth...

Wish me luck! Time to go sign the contract :)

toddinmn

#27 Post by toddinmn »

I think technically speaking there would be no “stuctural” rating to be found on a Silver rated window since they do not test for that, since it is one of the primary differences. Therefore I thinking they are feeding you a bit of BS.Interesting that they do list structural ratings with out being Gold certified, not sure how that works. It’s been awhile since I have used them so I can’t speak for there current reputation but I though the 600 and 900 were a pretty nice window with good thermal and air infiltration ratings. Since you don’t plan on being there long It may well be worth the gamble and could certainly do worse Gold label or not.

HomeSealed

#28 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to Todd's comments.
In other words, yes, the rating delta's are the same (ie: air infiltration <.3), but Gold gives you assurance that the advertised rating is legit where Silver could be of questionable accuracy. One of my main issues with that company is that if you aren't going to certify that your structural ratings are iron clad accurate, then it seems a bit disingenuous to advertise them as sales features, especially since MOST window manufacturers don't even quote those ratings in their brochures, etc.... Just my $.02

Secondly, "Hopefully I didn't make a mistake going with the low bid." is unfortunately how probably 95% of home improvement horror stories start. You certainly didn't tilt the odds in your favor.

With all of that said, I don't think that the window is awful, and if the installing company has a great reputation then things may work out. Hopefully they do.

EndTheFed1984

#29 Post by EndTheFed1984 »

I know I'm playing with fire... I half expect their bid to change once they come out and remeasure for the actual order. We'll see.

TheWindowNerd

#30 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If that happens it should be your signto get out.