Trying to decide on which quote / window to go with

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Stylez78

Trying to decide on which quote / window to go with

#1 Post by Stylez78 »

So I have been shopping around to replace 2 windows in my lower level of a high ranch in the Long Island, NY area. They are short but very wide windows measuring 27"H x 83"W. Currently there is a picture slider in both spots (left side slides open, middle non opening window right side sliders open) seems like a 1/3 1/3 1/3. I was open to all options of what to put there so here is what I ended up getting quote wise:

Okna dealer:
He would put 2 mulled 700 series Awning windows in each opening for $4300 installed.
Other option was to do a 1/3 1/3 1/3 picture casement 700 series, where left and right open and middle stays as is. $6300 installed said it was more because I have to pay for 6 windows.
He offered me a Slider window 800DX for $2150 installed
a Picture Slider where left and right slide open but middle is a picture $5990

1 year labor warranty lifetime window warranty but not including breakage of the glass.

Sunrise dealer:
He offered me the Vclass windows. Same 2 mulled Awning windows in each opening for $3900 installed.
The Vclass 1/3 1/3 1/3 Casement picture casement was $5100 installed.
He also offered a 2 window slider for $2900
The 3 window picture slider is $3250 installed.

Again this was for the Sunrise Vclass, 1 year labor warranty lifetime hardware and glass he said it even included breakage of the glass no questions asked.

These prices are for 2 units as I said above that are 27h x 83w.

Questions:
1. Is it worth trying to find another window to get a quote on? I read something about Ideal being good windows?
2. I know I have different options and that ends up on me to choose what type of window I want to put in this opening but when comparing each quote, The Okna dealer seem more expensive on most options except if I wanted just a basic slider option. Would the Okna be worth the extra money compared to the Sunrise Vclass in any option? In the Awning option is is $400 more for the total job, in the picture slider option it is almost $2700 more (which seems really off) and finally if I wanted a picture casement the Okna is $1200 more.
3. If I wanted to get out of this job at the cheapest price, I would assume the $2150 installed for the 800DX 2 window slider is the best overall deal and value? Is there anything negative or any downside to having such a wide sliding window?
Last edited by Stylez78 on Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ricknez

Re: Trying to decide on which quote / window to go with

#2 Post by Ricknez »

The okna and sunrise are far above the wincore, not even close. Yes, they are well worth the extra. There is a reason your contractor is so much cheaper.

Stylez78

#3 Post by Stylez78 »

Ricknez wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:34 am The okna and sunrise are far above the wincore, not even close. Yes, they are well worth the extra. There is a reason your contractor is so much cheaper.
Thank you I appreciate the reply. I'm not even considering the Wincore at this point, removed it from the discussion.

I am referring to the cost difference between the Okna 700 and the Sunrise Vclass. Comparing Mulled Awning options between the 2 the Okna 700 cost is about $400 more than the Vclass windows and it appears that both would be installed in a similar manner by installers who get very good reviews and both companies have been around roughly 15+ years. (Foam encased, siliconed both sides, aluminum capping on the outside).

The next thing being the Casement options from both dealers, are the Okna worth $1200 more than the Sunrise Vclass in the similar style Picture casement? I know both are great windows and talked about a lot it just seems when it comes to this style the Okna dealer is far more money. Is it just a bad Quote or maybe something else?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Both products are good, and neither price is outside of the normal range despite the the spread. The two products are comparable in the casement/awning config, however I'd say clear advantage Okna in the slider config.
A 2 lite Okna slider in that opening would be fine, I'd only suggest getting the EZ slide option if they don't already have it included. Casements would provide a tighter seal, however the Okna slider is pretty tight... The number of frames is a main factor in pricing particularly in the Okna options.

If you are still uncertain, I'd dig a little more into each installation company. This will affect the price as well based on size, history, business model, etc.

Stylez78

#5 Post by Stylez78 »

HomeSealed wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:07 am Both products are good, and neither price is outside of the normal range despite the the spread. The two products are comparable in the casement/awning config, however I'd say clear advantage Okna in the slider config.
A 2 lite Okna slider in that opening would be fine, I'd only suggest getting the EZ slide option if they don't already have it included. Casements would provide a tighter seal, however the Okna slider is pretty tight... The number of frames is a main factor in pricing particularly in the Okna options.

If you are still uncertain, I'd dig a little more into each installation company. This will affect the price as well based on size, history, business model, etc.
Thank you Homesealed. I was a bit concerned about the 2 slider version as I felt the window might be to large to slide open side to side. I also wasn't sure if I could have a full screen over a half screen. Though for the price of the 800DX 2lite it seems like a really good value, even if it does cost a tad more to get the EZglide option.

Would you know what an acceptable add-on price range would be for that option?

Stylez78

#6 Post by Stylez78 »

I spoke with the Okna dealer tonight. He told me this:

I could get the 2 lite 800DX with EZslide option for $1275 ($2,550 installed for 2 units)
The other option is get the Starmark Evo 7500 for $1575 per window. ($3,150 for 2 units)

I know the Starmark is a composite window vs the 800DX being vinyl. He said the 7500 would have the EZglide already, aluminum type handles and I'd be getting a longer lasting window because of the composite frame. Even though the glass is the same. He said both the Vinyl and Composite frame is the same size so one isn't bulkier than the other.

Is it worth the extra $300 per window to upgrade to the Starmark evo 7500? I am planning to be here in this house for 10+ years.

Not sure if this should be considered, but I am doing a few other Casement windows and I was going to get the 700 series vinyl for $1050 but the Starmark evo 7500 would be $1350 per casement. He said everything between the 2 would be the same except 1 has vinyl frame other composite. So same as above is the Starmark evo 7500 worth $300 more per window than a 700 series vinyl casement?

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Stylez78 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:39 pm I spoke with the Okna dealer tonight. He told me this:

I could get the 2 lite 800DX with EZslide option for $1275 ($2,550 installed for 2 units)
The other option is get the Starmark Evo 7500 for $1575 per window. ($3,150 for 2 units)

I know the Starmark is a composite window vs the 800DX being vinyl. He said the 7500 would have the EZglide already, aluminum type handles and I'd be getting a longer lasting window because of the composite frame. Even though the glass is the same. He said both the Vinyl and Composite frame is the same size so one isn't bulkier than the other.

Is it worth the extra $300 per window to upgrade to the Starmark evo 7500? I am planning to be here in this house for 10+ years.

Not sure if this should be considered, but I am doing a few other Casement windows and I was going to get the 700 series vinyl for $1050 but the Starmark evo 7500 would be $1350 per casement. He said everything between the 2 would be the same except 1 has vinyl frame other composite. So same as above is the Starmark evo 7500 worth $300 more per window than a 700 series vinyl casement?
In this case yes, the Starmark is worth the upcharge on the slider. The downside to sliders in general is that they leak more air. That window gets a .03 Air leakage rating which is excellent, and the water drainage path is superior to most sliders as well.

I'm also a fan of the composite casement with the four sided locking system. Great design. If you haven't seen it in person you should check it out. The $300 per window difference will add up on a house full of casements, so I'd definitely take a closer look before deciding.

Stylez78

#8 Post by Stylez78 »

@homesealed

I appreciate the input. I looked over them both and I do like the look of the composite but the $300 per window in the casement just added up to too much so I am going with the Okna 800dx slider and then the Okna 700 casements.

My biggest concern right now is even though the dealer in my area as a good rep I was told that my sliders would be installed with foam only if necessary. Everything I read has said low expanding foam is best to use so not sure why they wouldn't use it.

Before I sign the contract would it be wise to have them state in the contract I want the windows sealed with foam regardless? Not trying to tell people how to do their job but I know most people don't research or care as much as I do which prob makes me ore of a pita customer.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

We foam everything we can.
There are some situations where you can not foam.
At some point you need to trust the installer.

Ricknez

#10 Post by Ricknez »

Think about this for a minute- Why would the installation company state they were doing everything with foam but only using foam for the slider “if necessary?” There is obviously a very good reason. Why insulate every other window with foam but then decide not to do one just for kicks ? I highly doubt it. Sometimes you just cannot use foam.

Stylez78

#11 Post by Stylez78 »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:09 pm We foam everything we can.
There are some situations where you can not foam.
At some point you need to trust the installer.
Since buying this house and having dealt with multiple different contractors for sprinkler install, landscaping, electric etc and having 3/4 lie or do a terrible job after being hired it just makes you more skeptical or in my case more diligent in who I am hiring to do work in my house.

I read through a lot of posts here and other forums about people who didn't get a foam encasement or the installer just used that black tape that came around the window from the factory and the problems that proceeded. I read about how many had replied that foam is the best thing to use, the stuff from the factory doesn't fill gaps well and air can leak through. I am no expert, I'm just going by info I read here so I wanted to clarify if I should be asking for something upfront before signing a contract.

The company I chose has fantastic reviews and I have no reason to not trust them at this point, they are a Window company and not some home remodel place that does windows on the side. I'm sure they will do a fantastic job but I didn't want to find out after an install that I was supposed to ask for something before hand, especially when they told me the windows come with foam around it from the factory and they will foam if it is necessary.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

They key verbiage that you are looking for is that they will seal around the perimeter. As the other pros have alluded to, there are some times (albeit not many) where foam can't be used, such as when there are gaps too tight for it, etc. The purpose of foam is to establish a seal against air (and some CYA against water) leakage. The same effect can be achieved with caulk for tight gaps, and then there are other "one-off" type scenarios as well. You've chosen an excellent product and it sounds like the install company is highly regarded as well, you should be in good shape.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

You could just ask for clarification, but sealed around the perimeter for air seal is all you need to focus on. Foam, caulk, backer rod/caulk...all acceptable manners.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You could ask why foam might not be used?
The gap being to small or the way the window is inserted into a opening could be reasons.
You could ask if they can leave a little room to foam, if sizing is the issue.
I tend to measure tight, so some gaps are tiny.
theWindowNerd