Vinyl Hopper Replacement

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
muellerm123

Vinyl Hopper Replacement

#1 Post by muellerm123 »

Hello all. I am going to be installing a hopper vinyl window into an existing window frame. I am going to be decreasing the size of the current window frame so it will all be brand new wood. The directions for the hopper window I have don't mention the sill needing to be sloped. This window also doesn't have weep holes. Can anyone provide any clarification on this? Does it need to be sloped since it is a hopper window? If it is sloped, there would be a wedge shaped space under the window frame and the top of the sloped sill. Do you just caulk in there? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Delaware Mike

Re: Vinyl Hopper Replacement

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

It does not need to be sloped. That's not a very good window either by the way.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

If its capped and the water management is correct, not needed. What are you doing for trim on the outside? Capping, PVC? But if you are just trimming it out with wood, I'd have some slope on the wood subsill.

muellerm123

#4 Post by muellerm123 »

Why is that window not good?

I am going with wood or pvc trim.

muellerm123

#5 Post by muellerm123 »

Here is a pic of the window.
Attachments
thumbnail_image0.jpg
(226.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

I missed the part in which it wasn't being installed into a typical basement foundation setting. As WOW mentioned, whatever framing it's being installed into would need the bottom pitched not to hold water on the sill. In my experience, Silverline (American Craftsman) has super loose tolerances in their sashes to the master frame and I've seen too many seal failures with glass.