New Slide Door leaking

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
vikstk

New Slide Door leaking

#1 Post by vikstk »

Hi, we purchased and installed new sliding door from Western Window System from their authorized dealer in April 2022. Recently we discovered that there was water coming from under the new sliding door and into the floor below it. The downstairs kitchen ceiling is now damaged. Please see picture taken during installation.

https://imgur.com/Yjz8ZJe

The underside of the blue markers is where we are seeing water dripping now. They sent someone to do a water hose test. During the test, there's water literally coming out immediately underneath the subfloor at the door. Only the underside of the door is wet. Nowhere else is moist at all. I'm not a pro. But isn't that so obvious that the door is the issue?

They want me (the homeowner) to find a leak detection company to prove the door is leaking. That is a strange request. We're just normal homeowners. How do I know which company to use ? After spending the whole afternoon making 10+ calls, I've found no company in our area who's willing to deal with this.

Looks like they're not honoring warranty (which specifically covers 10 years of workmanship and 25 years for the door)

Any suggestion on how to proceed?

TheWindowNerd

Re: New Slide Door leaking

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Obsevations:
It is stucco over frame. Not uncommon to have leaks, is difficult to go far enough back to insure no water infiltration or migration.
I see no weep holes in the door frame. This is strange.
There was existing water damage that they tried to remediate.

I think you have three questions:
Is it the door?
Is it the install?
Is it the preexisting condition of the stucco?
Or a combination of any of the above.
If you pour water, use a gallon jug, into the door threshold/track does it evacuate? does the flooring then get wet?
I would want to see pictures of the whole elevation pre install and post install.
theWindowNerd.com

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

What series of door, what options?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Any other pics? I just see the one and that isn't telling me much.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

vikstk, what were their official findings after having performed the water testing? If it produced water infiltration, I'm sure that they must have offered some explanation for that other than the door or installation? I assume that they've stated that they confirmed the water is not a door leak, but if you have not gotten a determination one way or the other from them I'd press for that.

As the other pros have alluded to, this could be caused by a number of things and it would be nearly impossible for us to diagnose without a LOT more info, pics, etc.

Its common for folks to assume that water that appears at a window or door opening is due to leaking from said window or door, but that is often not the case, and the opening is simply where a leak from somewhere above happens to show up. As was also mentioned, stucco is notorious for leaking.

Look to see if you have a local NARI chapter, I'd suggest reaching out to them to see if they can recommend someone that may be able to help.

vikstk

#6 Post by vikstk »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:39 am What series of door, what options?
This is the detailed info from the order PDF:

PRODUCT TYPE
Series 600 Double Sliding Door XO 70 x 80
Frame Width = 70, Frame Height = 80
Complete Unit, Medium Stile, Thermally Broken, Non-Thermal Lock Stile = Yes, 1.5" Sill, Include Install Holes
in Sill, Shipped, and not crated by Western Window Systems
COLOR OPTIONS
Western White
GLASS OPTIONS
Unit 1: Glass Provider = Cardinal, Insulated Low E, Cardinal 366, Cardinal i89? = No, Argon Gas, with NEAT
= No, Stainless Steel Spacer, Black Spacer Color, NFRC Unit Glass Strength = Tempered
Unit 1 Left, 1 Right: Tempered Glass, 7/8" OA (5mm/.50"/5mm)
HARDWARE OPTIONS
Coastal Stainless Package, Premium Handle, Brush Nickel Hardware, 1.81" Rollers
SCREEN INFORMATION
Screen(s), Black Fiberglass Mesh, Screens Bundled Separately
NFRC
U-Factor = 0.4, U-Factor-Metric = 2.27, SHGC = 0.23, CR = 33, VT = 0.52, CPD = WIG-A-17-00257-00046
Wrapping - Perimeter Options
Perimeter Frame = Equal Leg
Jamb Width = 4.5"

vikstk

#7 Post by vikstk »

Windows on Washington wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:30 pm Any other pics? I just see the one and that isn't telling me much.
I will get pictures and videos tomorrow.. to be continued...

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Complete Unit, Medium Stile, Thermally Broken, Non-Thermal Lock Stile = Yes, 1.5" Sill, Include Install Holes
in Sill, Shipped, and not crated by Western Window Systems

The above is an interesting item to know and check.
Do all the holes in the sill have screws in them? Were the run in with caulk or a rubber washer?

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

HomeSealed wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:49 pm vikstk, what were their official findings after having performed the water testing? If it produced water infiltration, I'm sure that they must have offered some explanation for that other than the door or installation?