Casement window or slider?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jchester404

Casement window or slider?

#1 Post by jchester404 »

I need to replace a window in our bedroom and I'm not sure what style should be recommended and how I go about ordering it correctly. Attached pictures shows the windows: https://imgur.com/a/kI5MFfP

I pulled the moulding and was able to get a 57" x 48" RO measurement. It appears the current window is 1 unit.

I was told to steer clear of sliders due to drafts. Is that true? Should I be looking at casements?

Fyi - whichever style I go with it'll be an Okna 5500. Do I order this as 1 unit or 2 units?

Thank you

Windows on Washington

Re: Casement window or slider?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

A twin casement will be "tighter" by comparison, but a well installed and designed slider does not have to be a leaky window and will net more glass than a twin casement (in vinyl).

jchester404

#3 Post by jchester404 »

I ordered Okna's for my other windows and would like to stay that brand. Are they known for quality sliders?

Is there a considered preference between the 2?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yes.

Twin casement will approach 2X of the slider as it is two units, mulled to a single opening.

jchester404

#5 Post by jchester404 »

Windows on Washington wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:22 pm Yes.

Twin casement will approach 2X of the slider as it is two units, mulled to a single opening.
I didn't even think about doing twin hungs. My wife isn't a huge fan of casements due to the cranks and the screen on the inside. I tend to agree. I think twin hungs is the answer

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

It's a bit too small for twin double hung set up to be honest. The window will look a bit stumpy, but that window is right on the size edge of where it would look okay.

I normally don't recommend sliders, but for maximum glass and consistency, not a bad idea here.

jchester404

#7 Post by jchester404 »

Yeah? Tough call. Given my wife's hatred for cranks I might have to go twin hungs. I'll the retailer and see how much glass each window will have. Might look OK...

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to WoW's advice.

- Twin Casement: The tightest, but most expensive option

- Twin DH: Also a little costly because its two units, and as WoW alluded to, you are losing a fair amount of glass area in that size opening. In addition, while a dh is generally more airtight than a slider (this is true in the Okna 500 line), when you go twin dh, that's twice the amount of weatherstripped surface. I'd say that while this is still a tight window, it may be the "least tight" of the three.

- Slider: While generally my third choice of the three, the size of your window combined with the operational preference (no cranks) may push this to the top IMO. More glass area and lower cost to boot.

jchester404

#9 Post by jchester404 »

So I got a quote for the twin hungs and it came to around ~ $600. I didn't think that was too bad as a single DH is about ~$400 (Okna 5500). My wife fears a slider might look a bit out of place. This window faces the front of our house, to the far left. To the far right we have a 3 sectioned window (not a bay) that we planned on doing DH - PICTURE - DH. She wanted to keep it somewhat consistent aesthetically which is why we are leaning twin DH.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Replacing a twin CA with a SL would actually preserve the current look more than DH's would, however if you are changing to DH's in another area I understand that an aesthetic concern may exist.

Regarding the pricing, is that the upcharge? ... If that is what you are paying, obviously this is a DIY install, and even at that, it is "fell off the back of a truck" pricing.

jchester404

#11 Post by jchester404 »

The pricing is $625 to be specific. Okna 5500, regular glass package (low e, etc), all white, no grids, fins. And yes will be replacing it myself.

Will will replacing that large 3x windowed area to the other side of the house with DH so I think we will doing twin DH