Need recommendations for trustworthy, highly qualified installers in Boston

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
MissyBoston

Need recommendations for trustworthy, highly qualified installers in Boston

#1 Post by MissyBoston »

Hi all, I've gotten a few quotes and the salespeople continue to seem so shady and bs their way through their pitches. I know I need good quality windows AND competent installers. I searched for Boston-related posts and see a lot of very old threads, so I'm starting a new one.

I need to replace epically problematic RBA windows in my Boston condo. There's only one dealer that sells Vytex, but the company has sketchy reviews and the rep slipped in imaginary charges and other questionable conduct just in the pricing phase. The one Okna dealer available to me refused to price triple pane for my front windows and double pane for the back windows. What? The Soft-Lite dealer sent a newbie who never sent numbers and their appointment booker baited and switched me into the appointment in the first place by telling me that they sell Vytex. Not in Boston, they don't.

I live up on a hill near the harbor and it's windy and the winters can be harsh. Could you savvy industry experts please recommend some local installers/resellers who are reliable and have integrity, and I'd love to hear about other window brands to look for as I steer clear of Andersen, Pella, Gentek, etc. Thank you!

Windows on Washington

Re: Need recommendations for trustworthy, highly qualified installers in Boston

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Why did the Okna dealer refuse to price triple for the front and double for the back? Did you explain to him that they are in different elevations (i.e. North, South, East, West) of the home?

I will see who I can track down for you.

Who was the Okna company?

MissyBoston

#3 Post by MissyBoston »

Thank you. There was no good reason provided. Just a grimace and a lame "I don't think I'm allowed." No response when I said I think you should check on that. Run it by your manager because there is no reason not to. The noise and exposure aren't as much of a concern on the back of the unit as in the front. It made zero sense. Of course different windows can have different needs in the same home. NewPro was the outfit that priced high on Okna and didn't want to price different windows for different needs (over $20K for 8 double hung--$22K for supermax triple pane and $18K for ecomax double pane, in an email response I had to beg for after repeated "I'm busy today" or "I'm in a meeting" blowoff emails, and never sent a pricing breakdown or a prepared and sent proper estimate after that, though promised).

Is it worth trying to work with someone else over there? Do they have a reliable reputation on the install side?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Don't have any personal experience with any installs. Best to check references.

Ricknez

#5 Post by Ricknez »

What kind of breakdown are you looking for? Most companies do not breakdown the cost of the window and cost of the install. All jobs are priced as a “
Package”.
That being said, they will inform the customer about the extra cost associated with grids, colors, various glass packages, hardware options, custom sizes ect…

MissyBoston

#6 Post by MissyBoston »

Reply to WoW: Were you able to track down any companies in Boston for Okna or another good window?

Reply to Ricknez: I mean the guy didn't even prepare an estimate and burped a single amount into a rushed email. That's what I mean. This entire experience is exasperating. I just want to replace these nightmare windows with good windows and not have to keep having warranty service calls. It's bad.