Vinylmax - anyone have experience or opinions?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Windycitybuyer

#16 Post by Windycitybuyer »

The reason our esteemed friend Window4U, is a bit frustrated is the deal these people have presented to you is terrible; in fact you could not find a worst kind of deal to enter into to.
We got a quote for 16 triple-pane Krypton-filled double-hung windows for about $12,000. However, if we are able to cash in on this refund in 47 months, we will get almost $9000 at that time, making the cost of these windows about $3,000.
The biggest rule in any business transaction is the “Golden Ruleâ€

WindDoze

Re: Vinylmax - anyone have experience or opinions?

#17 Post by WindDoze »

donosborn wrote:
I searched the forum for Vinylmax as well as this rebate fund and I did not find much info. That is why I am posting.....We got a quote for 16 triple-pane Krypton-filled double-hung windows for about $12,000. However, if we are able to cash in on this refund in 47 months, we will get almost $9000 at that time, making the cost of these windows about $3,000. It seems almost too good to be true...Don
Don
My mother always said if something seems too good to be true it probably is. The rebate is a bogus ponzi scheme. A spa dealer here in Minneapolis ran into trouble with the State Commerce department a few years ago, essentially running the same scheme. You can check it out. You won't get your money back.

These NERF guys came into our place and offered us the program and we sent them packing. They told us "the beauty of the program is that it banks on slippage, the fact that most people will fail to fill out the paperwork correctly." Not exactly the most ethical business plan don't you think?

I think the reason NWFA chose to associate themselves with the program is that they are a family run business that is kind of naive to some of the vultures that prey on the uninformed. Its not a coincidence that all of the pros on this site have tried to warn you....its also not a conincidence that you haven't been able to find any info on the VinylMax window.

For $12K on 16 windows you definately can do better. There are much better windows out there than any of those you have seen.

donosborn

#18 Post by donosborn »

WinDoze,

Thank you very much for your post. It was calm and not condescending.

I also appreciate that you are from the same area as I am.

I am really having second thoughts about this job, mostly from all of the input from you guys. I can relate to your mom's advice.

What I really would like is more time to shop around and to get that I might have to cancel this job and get some more quotes.

If you don't mind, since you are in Minneapolis, are their local installers (are you one?) that you can recommend? Well, I guess what brand of windows goes hand in hand with which installers we hire. At least that is how it seems.

For $8,000-$12,000 for 16 windows, what are my best bets for brands of windows in the Mpls/St. Paul area? We are not sure if we want to go to triple pane (probably closer to 12K) or just get some very good double pane (probably closer to 9K).

thanks again.
don

WindDoze

#19 Post by WindDoze »

Here's my advice.
1.) Use the request a quote button on this site to get at least one of your quotes. It won't cost you a thing but it supports the administrators of the site. You'll get matched with a contractor in the area that can help you out.

2.) For the money you're looking at you most likely could get triple pane Schuco's which are very well regarded here.
Last edited by WindDoze on Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

K_A_Frankel

#20 Post by K_A_Frankel »

It has been two years. Did you go with them? If so how did it work out.

donosborn

#21 Post by donosborn »

Yes we did go with them.

So far we are very happy. I mean, compared to our previous windows anything would have been better, but we have noticed a dramatic difference in comfort and in heating costs during the winter. They open and close easily. There have been no broken seals. We have nothing to complain about at this point. They seem to be fine windows.

BSdeez16

#22 Post by BSdeez16 »

donosborn wrote:Yes we did go with them.

So far we are very happy. I mean, compared to our previous windows anything would have been better, but we have noticed a dramatic difference in comfort and in heating costs during the winter. They open and close easily. There have been no broken seals. We have nothing to complain about at this point. They seem to be fine windows.
Now it has been almost 4 years...still happy?

We're thinking about going with New Windows for America as well along with their triple pane windows.

donosborn

#23 Post by donosborn »

BSdeez16 wrote:
donosborn wrote:Yes we did go with them.

Now it has been almost 4 years...still happy?

We're thinking about going with New Windows for America as well along with their triple pane windows.

Yup. :)

One of the plastic lock thingees (so you can keep the window from opening more than a few inches) broke. I called or emailed them and a couple replacements arrived in a day or so. It was a 30 second replacement job and it was as good as new.

BSdeez16

#24 Post by BSdeez16 »

Awesome!

We're doing 6 triple-pane slider windows, a triple-pane bay window, and a double pane sliding patio door. We're excited...especially for the bay window.

tthomps21

#25 Post by tthomps21 »

So it' snow been 6 1/2 years. Are you still happy :) ?
My wife and I are thinking about getting the Vinylmax Easton series from New Windows for America. I'm not sure how much I trust the salesman though. Any regrets? It's either this or Ply Gem.

tthomps21

#26 Post by tthomps21 »

BSdeez16 wrote:Awesome!

We're doing 6 triple-pane slider windows, a triple-pane bay window, and a double pane sliding patio door. We're excited...especially for the bay window.

BSdeez, are you happy with your windows as well?

BSdeez16

#27 Post by BSdeez16 »

Yes! They're great! It's only been a little over two years, but so far so good!

donosborn

#28 Post by donosborn »

FWIW it has been 6 years for us and we are still happy. The windows keep out the cold and are holding up just fine so far. They also still open and close easily.

fridge2020

#29 Post by fridge2020 »

Great feedback 6 years later! Although no offense, but those standards don't seem too terribly high... Probably could have gotten a much lower price if those were your only qualifications.

So, what about that rebate? I am very curious about how that went... Either you got it and paid $3k for you windows (if that is the case you got an amazing deal!), or you did not get it, and the company that you purchased from used very misleading tactics and should probably be avoided at all costs.

donosborn

#30 Post by donosborn »

I will ignore the slight condescending tone of some of your remarks (I did not want to go into a long explanation) and answer about the rebate.

The rebate was real. Some people did get it. The people I bought the windows from admitted to me on the phone that they were very sad and frustrated with how it all went down.

The money that they paid into the program to be able to have their customers be a part of it was collected, but it was mismanaged (shocking, I know). Long story short, we all got some portion of money back, but not nearly what we were promised. The people we bought the windows from had all kinds of egg on their face and were embarrassed and felt terrible. They believed it was going to be valid for all their customers, and participated in the program so they could offer it to customers as an incentive to buy from them.

We bought the windows with the thought that we could very well NOT get the rebate, and had to be satisfied with the price we were paying, which we were.

So now, years later, the skeptics of the rebate are proved to be right. Fair enough. It did seem too good to be true, and that is why we went into it with the view that we did.

cheers.
don