Help me choose. Silverline, OKNA, Simonton, Royal Pime

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
danton1

Help me choose. Silverline, OKNA, Simonton, Royal Pime

#1 Post by danton1 »

I am in central NJ. I have four quotes for 20 double hung, LoE windows with and without argon gas.

Silverline (4000 series) LoE/no Argon, intercept warm edge spacer - $4900
OKNA (250 series) LoE/no Argon , don't know type of spacer- $5300
Royal Prime (9700 series) LoE/ no Argon, aluminum spacer - $5500
Simonton (6100 series) LoE/ WITH ARGON, aluminum spacer covered w/butyl - $11,500

Does the argon gas make that much of a difference in the efficiency to have such an impact on the price?
Should I only consider replacement windows that come with argon gas?
Does the spacer make a difference?

I have read many of the helpful replies to posts. Help me decide. Thanks in advance for any input.

Windows on Washington

Re: Help me choose. Silverline, OKNA, Simonton, Royal Pime

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Are you sure about the "no argon" in the Okna 250? I was under the impression that window had an argon fill. I think the spacer in that window is a duralite non-metallic.

Argon adds about 20% to the overall insulation value of the glass when combined with Low-e.

Bill

#3 Post by Bill »

I would stay away from the Royal & Silverline windows due to quality concerns.

The Simonton window you are referring to has the Intercept spacer as well; Simonton does not use an aluminum spacer in any of their windows.

You will do much better in terms of pricing from a Simonton dealer compared to purchasing from Depot.

I have never seen the Okna window.

Bill

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

They do make that Okna 250 with air fill but the Argon filled window is more efficient (0.28 U-Factor w/argon as compared to 0.31 w/out argon).

I always recommend that customers get argon because the ROI is very good. All glass systems leak a minimal amount of argon, however, a well sealed system leaks at a very slow rate and will perform much better over the life of the product than an air system.

Spacer system can make a difference. Ideally you want to go with a non-metallic spacer because of the increased edge temperature performance, however, the Intercept spacer system is a well proven counterpart and performs quite well.

dwhimes

#5 Post by dwhimes »

Choosing a window is a complex matter. After researching and getting sales demonstrations for over one-year, I elected today to go with the Simonton 9800 (sensor glass package). This package includes argon gas and super spacer. I also considered Gorell and Softlite but the more I read on this website about Simonton, I decided to go with this manufacturer. The sales person was not pushy and I felt a connection with him. I also checked out references he supplied and contacted BBB. I am somewhat apprehensive about Home Depot and Lowes for window installation. However, I did have Home Depot install a front door with no problem. Windows are a little different. Good luck with your decision. I certainly can relate.

dwhimes

#6 Post by dwhimes »