Stucco installation - Best way of doing this??

For those self-installers
Post Reply
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:35 pm

Stucco installation - Best way of doing this??

#1 Post by bobwilli » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:55 pm

I have stucco on a 1948 house, so will order stucco fin windows. Would value advice for installing them properly.

For one thing, the stucco wraps around the exterior wall into the window opening and seals agains the embedded frame (see attached photo). I painted the stucco about 8 years ago.

Should I trim the Milgard stucco fin so it fits into the recess of the window opening bordered by the stucco that wraps around into the recess (see photo attached) and seal the fin against the aluminum frame that I am leaviing in place? A local contractor installer tells me to do it that way.

Or should I leave the 2 1/8" wide stucco fin as it is and seal it against the stucco wall surface?

Another question: Should I install flashing around the window opening before putting in the windows?

Thanks for any advice.

(This post was previously on Windows Questions)
IMG_1740 - Stucco window corner with text - low res.JPG
(47.36 KiB) Downloaded 696 times

User avatar
Windows on Washington
Posts: 4533
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: DC Metropolitan Area-Maryland/Virginia/DC

Re: Stucco installation - Best way of doing this??

#2 Post by Windows on Washington » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:21 pm

Trimming the stucco frame to seal directly against the recessed frame on the aluminum window will be cleaner looking. You don't have much margin for error there when it comes to getting it good and sealed up. I would like to see some sort of drip cap integrated into the install to get the water coming down the wall from sitting against that upper seal, being that it is so narrow.

Windows Dun-Rite
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:05 am

Re: Stucco installation - Best way of doing this??

#3 Post by Windows Dun-Rite » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:06 pm

I agree with windows on washington. And definitely install a drip cap under the stucco and over the top of the window.

Post Reply