owen corning solace 366 vs sunrise casement window

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
helenwwu

owen corning solace 366 vs sunrise casement window

#1 Post by helenwwu »

my contractor should install Owen corning solace 366 - 4 fixed + 2 casement window ( double pane filled with argon gas ) - sz 24" width x 78" long for my replacement project. They ended up putting Sunrise vinyl window by mistake ... what should be the price difference between these two brands ? Is owen corning a better window?

Windows on Washington

Re: owen corning solace 366 vs sunrise casement window

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Depending on the model of Sunrise window, you probably got the better of the two windows.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

Owen Corning had struck a deal with Sunrise for the private labeled manufacturing of their vinyl windows a couple of years ago. What I saw at the 2007 Philly home show from one of the OC basement dealers was a Sunrise Restorations (Sunrise's best) double-hung display without any markings that would indicate to someone who is not in the industry to know that it was a really a Sunrise window. They even had the foam filling changed from green to pink for OC.

The only real difference from a base Sunrise casement to a Sunrise Vangaurd or Sunrise Restoration casement would be possibly the screen and the accidental lifetime glass breakage warranty. The fixed units would be the same. You may have gotten exactly would you should have execpt for a possible paperwork/label screw up? Not sure.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

You are correct. The Solace IS the Sunrise window with a different paper tag.

helenwwu

#5 Post by helenwwu »

I thought owen corning solace window is vinyl frame with reinforced fiberglass... but sunrise is 100% vinyl frame... how can they be the same window ?

helenwwu

#6 Post by helenwwu »

I had paid $4500 for this bay window replacment project . Now being given sunrise instead of owen corning... should I ask for any type of compensation or this is actually a very fair charge ?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

helenwwu wrote:I thought owen corning solace window is vinyl frame with reinforced fiberglass... but sunrise is 100% vinyl frame... how can they be the same window ?
On the various Sunrise doublehung series there are a few minor differences on how much reinforcement and where.
On the casement there is only one window and it is the same across the lines as far as I know. I could be wrong, but I do not believe they put fiberglass reinforcement in the Solace. If you go to doublehungs on their site they brag about the fiberglass, but if you go to the casement page they say nothing about it.
helenwwu wrote:I had paid $4500 for this bay window replacment project . Now being given sunrise instead of owen corning... should I ask for any type of compensation or this is actually a very fair charge ?
That's up to you, but considering they are the exact same bay window I can tell you that you haven't been financially injured not taken advantage of.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

I'm about 99% sure that the only Sunrise products that would have any type of fiberglass reinforcement (which would only be at the meeting rail) would be their Vanguard and Restoration double-hungs. The picture/fixed units and casements wouldn't need it.

Many sales reps only have double-hung hand samples and are trained exclusively on their features. A novice may have not relayed the information pertaining to other window styles clearly enough. It's not like purchasing a new Camaro SS and then getting it home to find out it's only the V-6 model. I do see why you are confused. I'm not a fan of the whole private label thing.

helenwwu

#9 Post by helenwwu »

Thank all of you for your kind explanation. I am no longer as upset as b/4 since now I am clear that owen corning is only a private label done by Sunrise.

I originally ordered tempered glass window since these windows are no more than 13" from the floor , but I do not see any engraving or indication that it is tempered glass. My contractor said he would double check with sunrise and will get back to me . In case it is not , he said he would change the glass unit for me. Since it is new window, I prefer not to change the glass since I am concern this might end up affecting the window's overall performance. what should I do ? should I ask for a discount ? I am not even clear what is the price difference between glass window vs tempered glass in this size 24"x 78" height . any suggestion what I should do with this issue ?

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Look for it being etched in the lower right hand corner of the glass.

Being 13" from the floor does not require the window to be tempered by itself in most jurisdictions.

That being said, if you paid for tempered glass and it was not done, you should be refunded that amount.

helenwwu

#11 Post by helenwwu »

If it is not tempered glass, I definitely want to be refunded . But my contractor insists he can change the glass for me . Problem is I have no idea what amount I should ask for refund ... can someone help me here ?? I don't think it is a wise decision to accept letting him change the glass unit to tempered now since the windows are all new.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Check your code and see if you actually require the tempered glass. See link.

http://dealer.milgard.com/egress--.htm

If you do not, we usually charge about $8 sq/ft for tempered glass.