Sears vinyl windows?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
LocalHero

Sears vinyl windows?

#1 Post by LocalHero »

I was showing a circa 2006 custom house to a client and was surprised to see Sears windows. Perhaps more surprising is that they looked good and had a clever tilt release system that was built into the window locks. Unfortunately, they also have an issue where on most of them, the top sash drops a hair when the lower sash is raised, making it impossible to lock them without using one hand to push the upper sash into place while pushing down on the lower and locking it. I assume the balance can be replaced though I didn't have time to look into it.

I didn't think to take pictures but the sash lock said "Sears" on it and I very much liked how the release worked. I know Sears wasn't making windows themselves... does anyone know who might have made these or where to get replacement balances?

Windows on Washington

Re: Sears vinyl windows?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Any pictures? The "Sears" window was made by several different folks over the years and they merely put their name on the product and sold it.

LocalHero

Re: Sears vinyl windows?

#3 Post by LocalHero »

Windows on Washington wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:03 am Any pictures? The "Sears" window was made by several different folks over the years and they merely put their name on the product and sold it.
Not sure why I didn't get notification of your reply but I see it now, thanks. Unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture while I was there. However, I just learned that the windows are only two years old (according to the seller) which brings to mind two thoughts... The original windows must have been crap if they were replaced after 10 years and... These probably weren't installed properly judging from how they function. The seller says they've always been like that. Possibly they needed to be shimmed or there might be an adjustment... I don't know.
I'm due to go there for a termite inspection before long and I'll try to take a better look and get a picture or two.