Installer Recommendation in NYC Plus Other Questions

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
zouwee

Installer Recommendation in NYC Plus Other Questions

#1 Post by zouwee »

I have 3 questions:
I'm located in Queens and need to replace 6 double hung windows and a patio door. I have what seems like a reasonable quote from Window King for Oknas. (Also went through the whole Renewal by Andersen song and dance, which was a mistake.)
Looking to get more quotes for comparison.

1) Can you recommend anyone else who services my area?

I know that you guys have high regard for the Oknas, which is why they were my first choice. To be honest, I don't love the busy look of the exterior, but I can get over that. My bigger reservation is that the patio door is so bulky. The patio door opening in our house is our best source of light and our favorite feature of the house. So I was really hoping to maximize the glass area there. To be clear, I haven't ruled the Okna out. Just trying to get comparisons.

2) Can you comment on patio doors with relatively slim lines (ie proportionally more glass) without sacrificing too much on quality and efficiency?

3) Do you know of good showrooms in my area where I can put eyes on some options? I'm willing to take a long drive.
Thanks!

Ricknez

Re: Installer Recommendation in NYC Plus Other Questions

#2 Post by Ricknez »

Give us some more details. How many windows? Are they all white? Any grids? What was the total cost?
Price for patio door? Okna do make a very smooth operating patio door which I personally never considered to be bulky.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you plan on staying more than two years I would suggest the 800DX.

The 8800 Elegante SGD is built like a tank, operates well and is very air tight, the screen is heavy duty too.

You will give up air tightness, but for a thinner profile look at Marvin Essential or Elevate for the SGD.

theWindowNerd

zouwee

#4 Post by zouwee »

6 double hung windows. All white. No grids.
I was quoted for Okna 400s (will likely upgrade). The door is a custom size: 72"w X 92"h.
Total quote installed = $8050

No installers to recommend?

Thx

Ricknez

#5 Post by Ricknez »

How much was the custom patio door?

zouwee

#6 Post by zouwee »

In the itemization it's listed at $4,600. But they take 20% off the total so I guess that would make it $3,680 for the door alone... installed.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

That price for the sliding glass door is cheap.

The DH I would suggest the 600dx or the 800 dx.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:24 am That price for the sliding glass door is cheap.

The DH I would suggest the 600dx or the 800 dx.
Agree on both.

Most quality vinyl doors will be in the same general range in terms of glass to frame. You'll find some thinner units at the lower end of the price spectrum, but I wouldn't recommend it, especially for a 96" door. The Marvin fg doors are well made, but as Window Nerd alluded to, you definitely lose some performance, especially in regards to being air tight.

zouwee

#9 Post by zouwee »

I'll likely do as you suggest... stay with the Okna door and upgrade to the 800 dx.
Thanks to all of you for the advice.
I really appreciate it.