Advice Requested: Simonton 6500 vs. Windows World vs. Harvey

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
allstonboston

Advice Requested: Simonton 6500 vs. Windows World vs. Harvey

#1 Post by allstonboston »

Hello - I have a rental property condo in the Boston area. Hoping to replace the existing windows with a reasonable/good quality option that will be effective at blocking air/sound and will last at least 15-20 years.

Have gotten 3 quotes and would much appreciate the expert insights and advice you all have.

This is for 6 double hung windows, white vinyl (inside/outside). All quotes are for double pane glass.

1) Home Depot - $5700

Simonton 6500 series
Lifetime warranty
5-year labor warranty

2) Windows World - $5450

6000 Series DH All Weld

3) Local area installer, company name is Cechinel - $5700

Harvey Classic
Installer warranty of 2 years - labor and materials
Harvey lifetime warranty

Had also got a quote from Lowes but their quote was much higher at $8200 for Pella 250 windows, so would rather choose an option from the above 3. I know that the Home Depot prices are already 30% higher than a quote I got back in August 2021, so it seems that the inflation in labor and materials is significant.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Windows on Washington

Re: Advice Requested: Simonton 6500 vs. Windows World vs. Harvey

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

None of those windows would really meet that blocking "air" qualifier in my book. At least they don't have a great track record of it. I understand that it's a rental and you don't want to blow the budget out, but based on where you are currently, I suspect you could get in the ballpark of a nicer product. Have you tried to look at a Soft-Lite, Sunrise, or Okna offering?

allstonboston

#3 Post by allstonboston »

Thank you for your reply - that's very helpful.

I will try and find dealers/installers for these options in the Boston area - if you know of any good ones, please let me know.

If I am unable to get any of those options and am stuck with the original 3 (Simonton 6500 by Home Depot, 6000 Series by Windows World and Harvey Classic by the local installers), what do you think is the least bad / safest option to take? They all seem to be in a similar price range.

Thank you!

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to WoW's comments, check on the alternatives that he mentioned.

If you are looking for a ranking, while I wouldn't recommend any of them, the Harvey might be at the top of the list if the installation company is well regarded. The Simonton window, while not a top performer isn't awful, however the big box store installer pay is bottom of the barrel in my experience so the likelihood of issues on that end of things is high.

allstonboston

#5 Post by allstonboston »

Thank you - that's very helpful feedback. Have reached out to dealers for Soft-lite and Okna and awaiting feedback.

Seems like Sunrise is now part of M1? Sunrise website isn't working but will try and contact M1 dealers to see if they have Sunrise windows.

If we have to go with Harvey, how do we assess how good the installer is?

Also, neither of you had anything to say on Windows World - is even the 6000 Series a poor option? We got a quote for the 4000 Series but thought if we upgraded to 6000 it would be a decent enough option.

Thanks!

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

WW is not an option that I'd recommend. Lower end product, and same situation with installer pay as box stores. Costs less because you get less despite what they say.