Replacement window options - Austin, TX

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
golfinz

Replacement window options - Austin, TX

#1 Post by golfinz »

Howdy! Never thought I would be on a window forum, but what a resource this can be!

We are looking at replacing our 'original to the home,' General Alum windows, and are getting quotes. We are are in Austin. Randy at Ultra Windows unfortunately doesn't service our area....yet :)

Below is a list of the windows currently in the house. We intend to stay in the home for 20+ years, so we want to buy something that will not only last, but provide the best performance. The home faces SW, so we get a lot of afternoon sun in the front of the house.

Four 36x84 - see below for separate transom windows
Two small transom windows above two of the four windows listed above: 35x23/20/11
One side light: 14x83 (needs to be tempered because close to front door)
Two 36x12
Two 48x72 (one tempered because close to door)
Three 49x96 (half moon above each)
Two 24x72 (one tempered because close to door)
One 72x108 (half moon above - currently two single hung side by side with one half moon window above)
One 24x35 (in toilet closet - frosted)
One 48x60 (above tub - tempered and frosted)
Two 36x84
One side light: 14x59
Two 35x59
Two sliding 59x47
Two 35x59 - see below for separate transom windows
Two small transom windows above the two listed above: 35x23/20/11

So far, we have received a few different quotes. Company listed first followed by the window. Nothing fancy with vinyl colors - all white:
1) Zen Windows: Soft Lite Classic Plus: $35k
2) Texas Window Store: Vista Mark Endura: $28k
3) Texas Window Store: Provia Aspect: $32k
4) Texas Window Store: NT Windows Presidential: $32k
5) Zen Windows: Imperial elite: $48k
6) Energywise: NT Windows Presidential: $30k

Edited. Got final quote and updated post. Is pricing ok or are we getting raked across the coals? Does one stand out from the rest?
Last edited by golfinz on Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement window options - Austin, TX

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can Zen provide you with a quote for the Soft-Lite Imperial LS or Elements?

golfinz

#3 Post by golfinz »

Just replied back and requested those quotes.

Heard back from Energywise. They are at 42k for the vistsamark window (not going here) and 30k for the NT Presidential.

golfinz

#4 Post by golfinz »

Zen can't get Elements, but will send the Imperial proposal soon. Said Elements are a dealer exclusive line.

golfinz

#5 Post by golfinz »

Heard back. Imperial will be 48k

Updated original thread. Any thoughts here?

randy

#6 Post by randy »

NT Presidential from the contractor you have the most confidence in. Vistamark is a no-go for me. Soft-lite makes some good windows, but the local vendor isn’t one that I would recommend. There is a local statewide company that offers them as well (unless it’s changed recently) but they charge an arm and a leg for them.

golfinz

#7 Post by golfinz »

Thanks Randy! Probably what we are going with. Stinks about Zen but is what it is. Their whole “no pressure, measure your windows yourself” sales pitch is weird

golfinz

#8 Post by golfinz »

@randy I do have a question about colors. The exterior of our home is a tan/sandstone brick. We would like to exterior to match, or get close to, the brick color while keeping the inside white. How does NT achieve this? Do they custom make the window or does the retailer buy a tan or white window and paint the other side? I think it's the former (custom vinyl) but one of the companies I'm speaking to told me this, so I'm confused:

"It is the same price for all colors"

I asked if it included having the exterior a tan/sandstone and the interior white, and the reply was:

"It would be less to go with tan vinyl in and out... it's the application of color that is so costly... they have tan vinyl that doesn't need paint... but when you want it on 1/2 then it's an applied color"

The other one told me that it's 200-400/window to get the multi colored window.

edit: got clarity on the above! No need to reply. For my project, it's about 8k more to do the multicolored window (tan exterior and white interior).

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Split finish is gonna get you on the pocketbook every time.

golfinz

#10 Post by golfinz »

Looking like about 8k more to do the split finish vs one color. We might opt to do the back half of the house this year and the front next year. That would maximize the new credits for windows (600/year)