Why choose triple pane over double pane?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
nationals fan

Why choose triple pane over double pane?

#1 Post by nationals fan »

As I mentioned on post yesterday, I got quotes for Schuco triple-pane, Simonton 9800 triple pane and Simonton 5500 double pane (with Superspacer) that are all very close. I live in Maryland. I've read some posts here suggesting that triple pane may be overkill for this region and others suggesting light distortion. Some of the installers I've talked to have warned that triple pane is much heavier than double. But the U and R factors for these windows seem to be much better with a triple pane, especially if also Krypton.

If I'm getting a roughly equal estimate for the same job, should I pick double or triple pane?

InfoSponge

#2 Post by InfoSponge »

If the prices are very close, and you're happy with the price ranges, there are not any big disadvantages to triple pane. Yes, they are heavier, but that won't pose a problem to a competent installer. You will lose a bit of light coming into your home. Double-pane LowE glass often lets in about 50% of the visible light that would otherwise pass through an empty hole in the wall. For similar triple-pane windows, that number will be around 36-41%, because there are two LowE surfaces blocking heat in most cases. The difference sounds like a lot, but is hard to notice unless you see both windows side by side. As you've seen, the energy efficiency is better with triple, and the sound blocking ability will generally be slightly better.