Schuco quote help in Towson, (Baltimore area), MD

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
billdsmith

Schuco quote help in Towson, (Baltimore area), MD

#1 Post by billdsmith »

I've been monitoring this board for the past 30 days or so and have gained much insight. There are a number of people who are knowledgeable and passionate about this business. It comes through - and is appreciated.

We are planning to replace 36 windows in our house and I have a quote for Schuco Suprema Plus from AES Builders and Remodelers. I understand they are the only "certified" distributor/installer in the Baltimore area. The owner at Certified Builders told that as an independent builder he can also order and install Schuco. Should I be tempted . . .?

Any way, here's what I have for $32,750:

4 "fixed" windows (upper windows in a tall family room)
11 double hung larger than 100 inches
21 double hung less than 100 inches

He's also quoting me $3,995 for a large double hung and 2 sidelights in our 2 story foyer, but he hasn't measured. The dh is clearly larger than 100 inches, and it's about 12 feet off the floor.

My gut tells me this is probably good, but I don't really have anyway of validating the price or the reputation of the contractor, other than BBB (no issues), Angies List (1 customer, very happy) or their customer references (obviously happy).

Your insight and guidance are greatly appreciated!

Bill

randy

#2 Post by randy »

As someone who has been a dealer for Schuco windows, I'm going to offer my two cents worth on the product, and I think both FenEx and Window4U will agree.

IMO Schuco makes the best quality vinyl window in the industry. The quality of the construction and the attention to details are significantly better than any other VINYL window that I have ever seen. The efficiency ratings (U-Value & Air Infiltration) are outstanding.

Unfortunately, Schuco has some dealers who overprice the product in relation to the products which also worthy of consideration, such as the Simonton 5500 or 9800, the Gorell 5300, along with a few others that may be available on a regional basis only.

Is the Schuco Corona 4000 worth 10% - 15% more than the windows listed above? I would say yes. Does it justify a 20% + premium? Not in my opinion. FenEx or Window4U will have to provide insight on the "Suprema Plus". I assume it is just another name for the Corona 400.

I would recommend that homeowners who are going to get a bid from the local Schuco dealer NOT mention anything about this website. There are a few good men here who offer the Schuco product line at fair and reasonable prices, but I am becoming convinced that their good work and advice, is being perverted by unscrupulous Schuco dealers who take advantage of homeowners who request an estimate with their hearts set on the Schuco product.

I say all of this because I think your quote is somewhat high. Without knowing more, it is hard to say with certainty, but I am assuming that your installation is fairly basic, and that the $3995.00 is in addition to the $32,750.00.

If you have not already gotten additional quotes, you should do so, as this is the only way to establish what is reasonable for your particular situation. The brands and models listed above would be good choices for comparison.

As to why I no longer offer the Schuco product line, it is not well suited for the southern climate, where air conditioning costs are the highest, and the Solar Heat Gain Coefficient is of critical importance.

Good luck to you.

WindowCustomer

#3 Post by WindowCustomer »

Bill,

AES Builders are very nice people -- but as you've found, they are also very overpriced compared to the other Schuco dealers. (I'm also in the MD area, and did similar research).

Your best bet (in the MD area, for Schuco windows) is Quality Window & Door in Beltsville, MD. Still negotiate with them for a good price, to be sure, but I think you'll find your starting price will be much less than AES.