slim vinyl frame

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
JTXX

slim vinyl frame

#1 Post by JTXX »

I have been researching replacement windows for several weeks now and have come down to three manufactures (Simonton, Alside and Gorell). I’m looking at the top of the line series for each of these window manufactures but have yet to get specs on which window has the most slim sash and frame. Most of my current windows have a fairly narrow glass opening as it is and I therefore want to preserve all the glass space I can. Does anyone out there have knowledge of which window (Alside, Simonton, Gorell) or any other top quality vinyl replacement window which has a narrow profile frame/sash?

Thanks

JTXX

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

When I have a situation where I need to have a slimline premium double hung window, I go with another brand I am a dealer for which is Sunrise Windows. It has a little nicer appearance than most vinyl windows, and is a premium vinyl window with options such as two-tone int/ext colors and blinds or shades between the glass.
Here is a comparison of the 3 window brands you spoke of plus Sunrise so you can compare them all to each other. Taking away the Sunrise, the Gorell has the smallest sill to glass measurement, but it also has the widest frame and sash on the sides of all the choices. The tall Alside sill is due to the use of the same extrusion on all 4 sides, and then they add a snap-in piece to make the bottom act like a sill instead of having a dedicated sill like the other 3. I have talked about and illustrated this poor design here before.

ImagevImagevImagevImage

Skydawggy

#3 Post by Skydawggy »

I'm unfamiliar with the Sunrise window. Do you ever get negative comments from customers about the glass on the bottom sash not lining up with the top sash?

Window4U (IL)

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

No, never heard it from my customers .....but it's one of the small things that slightly bothers me since I've always sold windows with even sight lines. I've posted photos of them here in the past when people have asked what an uneven sight line is. Even with this, it's still a pretty nice looking window when installed.
Schuco is my main brand for the majority of my jobs, but I do use these on jobs where I need a two tone window (like a white inside and tan, sandstone, or earthtone outside), blinds, simulated divided lite grids, or where the customer has skinny or small windows and are stuck on the glass loss issue. They have a nice patio door I like too. Below is a Sunrise job we installed last summer.
ImagevImage
Last edited by Window4U (IL) on Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tackleberry

#5 Post by Tackleberry »

The tall Alside sill is due to the use of the same extrusion on all 4 sides, and then they add a snap-in piece to make the bottom act like a sill instead of having a dedicated sill like the other 3. I have talked about and illustrated this poor design here before.

Are all of the Alside models made like this, including the Sheffield?

Window4U (IL)

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Not all their models, but their top 3 models are like this..... the Ultramaxx, Sheffield, and Preservation.

Bill

#7 Post by Bill »

Jttx

The Simonton window that Dave posted a picture of is the 6000 I have posted pictures of the 9800 & 5500 so you can see what I mean by the difference in lift rails. If look closely at the 6000 & 9800 you can see that they both have a nicer colonial edging around the glass compared to the beveled look around the glass of the 5500 (Platinum from Norandex)

click to enlarge

I was at a home show last night that I normally participate in and I looked at the Sunrise and thought it was a nice looking window compared to most but I did notice the uneven sight line. Also I have found when window companied market their window as having thin sash rails and more glass the sash is so thin it is weak. So I caution people about chasing windows with thin sash’s. The Sunrise sash had a weak feel to me and I also did not like the fact that the lift handle was part of the glazing bead. In the past when I have sold windows of this design I have had the lift handles snap out during normal use.

I have never installed this window so W4U would have more insight on whether the above listed are issues with this window.

Bill

Window4U (IL)

#8 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I've had no trouble at all with Sunrise doublehungs being flimsy even in large windows. They use pultruded fiberglass reinforcement where needed and the sashes are wet-glazed in which I suppose also helps. I've been pretty happy with them, though I won't use their sliders.
And yes Bill you're correct, the vinyl lift rail is part of the glazing bead. I've touched on this before over the years here as something I don't care for in the design.
Though it's only happened once about 5 years ago, there is a chance of pulling the lift rail off. In my case, it happened when the woman lifted real hard with the window locked. I showed up at her door and she handed me the rail ...embarrassing. I luckily haven't seen a problem at all with it since then.
I'm not saying this window is a Schuco, but then Schuco doesn't have many of their options....yet. Schuco is really shaking things up at the plant with new management (Bye bye R.B. :D ) and a new plant manager. From what I've been told, they are planning some great new options and products. I've already noticed a positive change in customer service and lead times on getting windows.

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

My take on the uneven sight lines with Sunrise is that the extra glass on the bottom sash is a positive trade off given that most folks will have some type of window treatment that partially obscures the top sash. As far as the frame being a little less stable due to the smaller extrusion, well it's just a little more work for the installers. Maybe about 2-5 minutes a window if needed on a really large double hung.

Sunrise recommends 6 or 7 anchor points instead of 4 for the large units. I think that they have fixed the lift rail with the slight change of the design that was showed to me. Also, they are about to use a different glazing material that will really help their sashes stay more true as it will cure much faster than silicone and is stronger.

Tackleberry

#10 Post by Tackleberry »

I asked a question, but I found an answer in another thread and now cannot find a way to delete this post.