Central Mass Window replacement advice

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
danmass

Central Mass Window replacement advice

#1 Post by danmass »

First off, thank you all for your time, this site has proved to be VERY useful in the early stages of my research.
I recently had a local co. come out for an estimate for schuco windows. I've read verbatum stories about exactly what our experience has been. I was naive and signed some stuff and they will come back for us to sign the opt out ppw. Anyway, I need help selecting a window and contractor. We have 17 double hung windows, 15 about 3x5, and 2 others slightly smaller say 3x3.5. We were quoted $22,400 for the job. Then a call to the mgr and bam, a steal at $18,400. We hemmed and hawed and after spending over 4 hrs we stupidly signed and are now in the process of bailing. Also, if someone has advice on this part, we are about to get a visit for sales pitch #2, despite just wanting out fo the deal.

We need help finding a trustworthy contractor in the worcester ma area. We also need help selecting the right window for us. We are in a stepping stone house. One we plan to be in 5 (maybe 10) more years. The existing windows are aluminum with lead paint that is flaking off and we need to get that out of there. Because we don't intend on being here for 30 years, we are unsure about needing the best windows, although the features that were sold to us regarding the schco's really have me wanting something close. However, if there is a cheaper alternative that will still save us heating bill money and help us sell the home, I am all ears. Please, if I am too vague and need to elaborate more, don't yell, I am new to this.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

JimInMa

#2 Post by JimInMa »

So....were you able to bail out?

danmass

#3 Post by danmass »

Yes, we got out of it after an even better offer. The final offer was slightly less than 60% of the original. What an awful scam. Never again will a house call ever enter my home again. That was the worst few days of our lives. We now are going with a contractor (local and knows our family) who is the best of the few quotes we got. A total of 17 windows for $5,500. Nothing top of the line, but way more efficient than the single pane, steel windows that we have. He is busy, so we may have to wait a month and a half, but we are in essence saving big bucks. It's sad because the schuco windows look like the best out there. Watch out for these scam artists!!! Stay local and ask people you know.