Foam or no Foam on Installation

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Kimmer

Foam or no Foam on Installation

#1 Post by Kimmer »

I have talked to various installers and some have said that they use expanding foam during installation and others have said that they don't and only use fiberglass insulation.

Is it really just installer preference or does one have a definite advantage over the other? Does it vary by window type?

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

Kimmer

It absolutely matters. Fiber glass should not be used for this purpose as it doesn't work... it neither insulates or airseals when used in this fashion. This is verified by the manufacturers of the FG products themselves. I am a consultant for Owens Corning as well as Johns Manville... trust me.

You want to insist on a low pressure build foam designed for windows and doors.

survivor

insulation

#3 Post by survivor »

FenEx since you mentioned that you work for Owens Corning can you give me any info on their vinyl windows that I see advertized. I am on the west coast of Florida. Thanks

FenEx

#4 Post by FenEx »

Survivor

LOL... I don't work for Owens Corning... they bring me in from time to time as a corporate consultant and subject matter expert. Owens Corning does not currently even make a window. I'd love to see the advertisements near you.

survivor

window insulation

#5 Post by survivor »

FenEx try this site for the windows www.ocwindows.com

Skydawggy

Re: window insulation

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

survivor wrote:FenEx try this site for the windows www.ocwindows.com
If you look at the dates on that website, they are from 1996-2000. Iirc OC window and siding division went into bankruptcy around that time.

Guy

#7 Post by Guy »

Kimmer, If you have an installer from MN telling you fiberglass insulation is the way to go, send them packing. Any good installer knows low expansion foam is better in every way. It can be a bit messy at first, but you learn how to use it without issues after time.

Survivor, the OC window listed there is old as Skydawggy stated. It looks to me like it's the OC Mosaic window which was made by Simonton. Simonton made the window and stuck the OC Pink Panther sticker on it in the factory. Just like they do today with Sears & Home Depot.

survivor

window insulation

#8 Post by survivor »

Must have been a little blurry eyed when I looked at that site.May be from reading all the posts on windows trying to fine a decent window for a decent price here in Florida. Thanks

Kimmer

#9 Post by Kimmer »

Yeah, I just signed a contract with Renaissance Exteriors here for Simonton 9800's with the Super Sensor package. The sales rep said they didn't use foam and said that they worry about the expanding and contracting of it or something like that.

I will give them a call to discuss this.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#10 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Low expansion foam after they use it a few times will convince your dealer they have been doing it all wrong before. Tell them no deal if they won't use foam and I'm sure they'll will. If they come back with it will void the warranty, refer them to this and it's sister site.
Foam snugs up the window and gets into every crack and crevice for best insulating qualities and sound control, along with being a moisture barrier.
If your job is a inside install, you might reccomend a outside install for first time foamers.

Kimmer

#11 Post by Kimmer »

Okay, I have a call in. However, let's say for instance that they don't normally use it, but they agree to because I will cancel the contract otherwise; do I really want them to experiment with it on my house for the first time?

Kimmer

#12 Post by Kimmer »

Okay, just to be safe, I called and said I was going to cancel the order for right now and I would maybe still go with them after we discuss some more things. I like the people I've been working with, but I have to be sure about things if I'm going to spend this type of money.

They brought up a few things during my call; said the foam can put pressure on the frames if not done properly (isn't it their job to do it properly?), brought up the warranty issue and said it was not factory recommended. My question is if its just not factory recommended how can it possibly void any warranty? What do you guys think?

Also, I haven't mentioned this before, but this is a retrofit and not a full frame installation. I thought he also mentioned that that makes a difference. Does it?

Bill

#13 Post by Bill »

Going back to the Owens Corning window question.

Simonton still builds a window with the Owens Corning label. The window is called the Luminess 4500 it is the same window as the Reflections 5050. The Luminess window is typically sold at lumber yards. This is Simonton’s lower end window but it’s not the worst window out there. I would seek out the Reflections 5500 or Impressions 9800.

The entire Owens-Corning Corp went bankrupt due to asbestos claims not just the window and siding division. OC created a trust to cover existing and future asbestos claims and the company has since restructured. I read today that they sold their siding company (Norandex/Reynolds) to the French holding company that owns Certainteed.

Bill

survivor

Owens Corning

#14 Post by survivor »

Bill Just received an email from Owens Corning and they do have vinyl windows and I should be getting some info on them shortly.

Henry5

#15 Post by Henry5 »

Owens Corning also has a Sunroom line which looks very well constructed. Does anybody know if they are the actual manufacture of the room? or do they just slap there name on it?