Advantages/Disadvantages of Retrofit Patio Doors?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
epineda

Advantages/Disadvantages of Retrofit Patio Doors?

#1 Post by epineda »

I live in the CA Bay Area, San Jose. I am replacing a 6' and 8' wide patio door, along with 8 windows. There is a dealer that manufactures their own windows and doors. They say that since they make their own stuff, they can make the patio doors so that they can be installed as a retrofit. Their price isn't much cheaper than other installers that are going to do the new construction. I have to double check with them on whether their new construction prices includes replacing the stucco or not.

Assuming the prices are comparable between the retrofit and new construction patio doors, what are the pros and cons of going either way?

Not sure if these are even relevant factors, but I'm thinking along the lines of:

1) Structural integrity (not sure if patio doors are even load bearing).
2) Retrofit having a higher profile off the ground - increasing likelihood of tripping.
3) General aesthetics
4) Problems with retrofit installations for windows that large

If any other factors come to mine, please add those too.

My second question is , shouldn't the retrofit install of the patio doors be a lot cheaper? For the dealers that do new construction patio doors, they said the bulk of their labor charges is for the patio doors.

Windowman

#2 Post by Windowman »

1. No problem here, the header over the door is for that.
2. It will be the same hieght, as they do have to remove the bottom piece only.
3. I like the looks of it, they match the windows with the fin around them.
4. No problems with the size, I have done 16' doors, but you want to make sure they install it right and water tight.

There is an upcharge for making a custom patio door, most company's order tempered glass for doors in large amounts so gets good prices, so when they make a custom size the glass costs more.