Alside Excaliber vs. Ultramax and Clear Choice Signature

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Diogenes

Alside Excaliber vs. Ultramax and Clear Choice Signature

#1 Post by Diogenes »

First timer so be gentle.

I live in central Oklahoma, sunny, windy and hot.

Looking at getting eight windows and a 5' patio door replaced. Brick veneer house. I have a one quote from an installer recommended by the local wholesaler for Alside.
The Excalibers with a 6100 series door would cost about 3800.00.
The Signatures by Clear Choice would cost about 5200.00

The Excalibers would be single, not double hung windows.

They all would meet the tax refund requirements.

I am also considering getting an estimate for Simonton Reflection series, are they a better product?

Thanks,
Diogenes

(edit) Finally figured out IE works better then FireFox with this forum. I guess to keep apples to apples I should look at the Sheffield, not the UltraMax series.

JackS1

Re: Alside Excaliber vs. Ultramax and Clear Choice Signature

#2 Post by JackS1 »

I'm not an expert, but I have been checking various sites looking for information too and I've found that Alside windows don't get very good ratings from dealers or from previous owners. Simonton windows have almost always been rated highly as a window and as a company that backs the warranty.

I'm not familiar with Clear Choice.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Clarify what model the Clear Choice Signature actually is and you will get more feedback on it.

Clear Choice typically uses a SilverLine product which can vary widely in quality.

JackS1 commentary on Alside is pretty spot on.

jsmomo

#4 Post by jsmomo »

if it the signature by clear choice it is a private labeled vista window i sell vista and have never had a problems

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

Vista is a very nice budget window. Never any problems.

advanced_energy

#6 Post by advanced_energy »

Vista is a pretty good window.. i know,i checked them out a while back. they use a high quality vinyl and have a good triple pane glass package but their performance numbers lag.

Diogenes

#7 Post by Diogenes »

The Clear Choice is a Vista, double pane window.
Seems tomorrow I will be getting some prices on Simonton and Ultramax.
Was told the UltraMax and Sheffield were about the same thing, just different names for the same product.
I like that you can get the Alside with a faux wood grain interior.

Okna and Gorrell are not offered in this area.

Had a guy come by today and measure for Quaker windows but their website is slim on details.

Diogenes

#8 Post by Diogenes »

Well I had Champion come in today. Good salesman, did not waste time bad mouthing other brands.
He shot two prices at me, on good for today only and one good for 30 days. I told him I never accept a bid that is good here, now only.

He worked some more on the other bid and got it down to 11K. About twice what my highest prices has been.

I'm about to go nuts comparing windows. Stared at the NFRC tables till I'm crossed eyed.

I know they are not the most popular with this board but the Alside UltraMaxx with a 6100 series door is looking like a real contender.

I hate to say this but it would be nice if as part of the tax program manufacturers were required to put all relevant information in a simple to read spreadsheet design. Also include the AAMA ratings.

If you could just configure the window the way you want it and have the CPD number displayed so you could reference the NFRC tables would be nice.

The supply house that sales Alside also sells Simonton and they don't sale a lot of Simonton.

advanced_energy

#9 Post by advanced_energy »

champion actually sells a better window than alside. by the way,the "BUY TODAY AND SAVE" is actually legit. WHY? now the salesman has to take another trip to your home and that costs money especially for a company that has overhead; so if he gives a buy today price,its not a bunch of bs. alside do have trouble with their sills,ask a few of the experts on this board.
FWI- I do not sell champion nor am i affiliated with them in any way. just letting you know it is a good window.

advanced_energy

#10 Post by advanced_energy »

i meant FYI. my bad...

Diogenes

#11 Post by Diogenes »

Am trying to get a quote from Simonton this week.

What is the issue about the sills on the UltraMaxx? I know they are fitted with drains, where as the Sheffeld is not.

A lot of the recommended brands I see on this board are not available in central Oklahoma.

One selling point with Alside is that we can get the beige exterior with faux wood grain interior. Others only seem to do it on white, which would not look good against our brick.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

one has a "sloped" sill, the other has a "pocket" sill.

buddy110

#13 Post by buddy110 »

I think you'll like the Simonton window. Keep us in th e loop and good luck!

Diogenes

#14 Post by Diogenes »

What options on the Simonton should I ask for in order to get the best performance "E" wise and "SHG" wise taking into account air infiltration?

The only decor knock against Simoton is they will not do wood finish on an almond/beige window frame and the spline on their screen faces out.

I also have a quote being worked up on Sunrise, not a big seller in this area. I have a call in to them to see if they carry the Vanguard series by Sunrise. I want upper/middle windows to fit my budget. I have watched guys measure the windows. Some take one horizontal and one vertical, others take multiple measurements of both.

Some of them really know their product lines and others haven't a clue. A great installer does not necessarily make a great salesman.