Good deal or not really? Opinions from pros/dealers, please!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
julie12

Good deal or not really? Opinions from pros/dealers, please!

#1 Post by julie12 »

So I am about to sign the contract in Connecticut for 6 StarMark windows with simulated divided light on the inside and dimensional grid betw.the glass on the outside and 9 Okna 500 series deluxe package with u.25 for $7750 (installation and full screens included). Should I sign or keep shopping? The total for 15 windows works out for $513 per window.

Skydawggy

Re: Good deal or not really? Opinions from pros/dealers, please!

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

Sign, that's a great price.

buddy110

#3 Post by buddy110 »

Okna makes top quality stuff. If you're comfortable, jump on that deal. It's a good one :mrgreen:

advanced_energy

#4 Post by advanced_energy »

first off,thats remarkably cheap. are you sure you are getting starmark that cheaply? thats wildly cheap! 500 series is in the 500-525 area; staramrk is in the 600's. you caught the break/deal of a lifetime.

denmick

#5 Post by denmick »

JULIE,

You got a Good price without the grids in the starmark windows and with the grids you got a excellent
price. Sign the dotted line. Like ENERGY said make sure you are getting does Starmark windows.

julie12

#6 Post by julie12 »

Ok, I signed today. I am quite certain that it is genuine StarMark because it was actually the dealer who first showed me the window and did a demo with a heat lamp and compared that to a "standard low E glass", and since I never heard of StarMark before, I googled it and found this board...Thank you all who replied and shared their expertise! I feel that that the discussions on this board provide invaluable service to consumers by giving information that is difficult to find, so please keep this going for others :D

denmick

#7 Post by denmick »

Julie,

Let us no how the install went and let us no how you like the windows.

julie12

#8 Post by julie12 »

I will :)

whaas

#9 Post by whaas »

I'm shocked that the CT market is that much lower than the Milwaukee, WI market.

Your about 25% lower than the quotes I got. Did you deal them down?

tk206

#10 Post by tk206 »

Julie - I'm looking at Okna and possibly Starmark. Is Starmark considered better? I'm not sure I can ask this but who was your dealer (I live in CT). You sound as if you have a very good deal. tk

julie12

#11 Post by julie12 »

Yes, StarMark is conidered the top of the line window manufactured by Okna. It is not vinyl bit a composite window (supposed to be better) and has a slightly better u factor 0.24 vs.deluxe package of Okna 500 with foam u.025. the salespeople said that the two windows are similar, it is just that StarMark gives you a choice of grids/finishes and we definitely wanted the grids on the interior walls. Okna only has grids between the glass :(

We are going to have it done by Side Tech (local company in North Haven, CT). We also went to Windowland in Newtown and had a very similar quote ($8,150) but I just like the local contractor better.

Best of luck to you! I'll post later once I get the windows installed.

tk206

#12 Post by tk206 »

Julie - thank you very much. I'm talking to Windowworld and expect to get prices within the next week or so on 27 Double hung Okna 500's; I may ask them to quote the Starmarks also. In addition am getting prices on Thermal Industries Dream View triple glaze and Alside Ultramaxx triple glaze. There are some doors involved also. but there are some complications.

advanced_energy

#13 Post by advanced_energy »

Okna was grids between the glass and SDL's; you can get the grills out the outside of the glass.

WindowEDU

#14 Post by WindowEDU »

Note that Starmark can NOT be compared to a regular vinly replacement window in which are the other products you mentioned. Cellular composite is a much more expensive material than standard vinyl, better insulated and more durable than rigid vinyl. All the clients we've been showing the Starmark window to absolutley love it. Its worth every penny and then some.

tk206

#15 Post by tk206 »

On a percentage basis, how much more are the Starmarks vs the Okna's, all other things being equal (U, R, etc. etc.)? I also have to add that we were given a very impressive presentation on Thermal Industry's high-efficency double hungs. Nice-looking.