Home Depot 6500 Series

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cpontani

Home Depot 6500 Series

#1 Post by cpontani »

I live in Wilmington, DE, and I got a quote from the Home Depot for their 6100 and 6500 series windows. We were going to get the 6500 for the picture and casements in the living room, for the breakage guarantee, and 6100 for the double-hungs in the rest of the house. I've heard conflicting views (as everybody wants me to buy their product, obviously), from Argon is the best thing to happen to windows to it's a waste of money. Is it true that if Argon leaks that the window will cloud every time? Does it really help with energy efficiency? And does their lifetime accidental glass breakage warranty sound too good to be true? I'm afraid that if I go with a lower bid that I'd be compromising quality/savings in the long run. It's not that money isn't an issue, but I'd rather do the right thing, as I have 20+ windows to replace. Any ideas would be appreciated, as would any other ideas for brands, etc. Thanks in advance.

HipKat

#2 Post by HipKat »

Sounds like you have some concerns as to the quality of thew windows, and the performance.
No one on here will endorse anything from home depot, number 1.

Argon is 10 times more dense than air. It slows down the conduction/radiation process. Here's the example I use: An empty room, is full of air. Walk around and you have no resistance. You can move about freely. Argon is like filling the room with water. Now you have some pretty decent resistance as you try to walk around in it. Argon will slow down the loss of heat from your home. But it's not the only thing that does. LowE glass, and look for Double LowE or LowE² OR LowE Quad. You live in DC, so the same can be said about the heat gain in the summer. I used to live in Germantown. I KNOW how hot it gets there.
Yes, as to cloudines. If the argon leaks, there's a hole, a leak somewhere, and moisture will collect inside the airspace via condensation.
Aluluminm spacers or aluminum reinforeced frames are not good/ MOST windows have aluminum spacers between the glass. Not good! Aluminum conducts cold from outside to inside.

There are plenty of dealers there that sell good windows, and for a fair price, I'm sure. Do some research and look around before you ever sign with Home depot.

Bill

#3 Post by Bill »

I will endorse something from Home Depot that would be the quality of the window itself. The windows that Home Depot installs are built by Simonton and happen to be quite good. The Renovations 6500 is basically the same as the Simonton Reflections 5500 with a good sturdy frame and a top of the line 3/4â€

jlas75

#4 Post by jlas75 »

I am researching Vinyl replacement windows (14 windows) and am now comparing Home Depot's "At Home Service" 6500 Series with United Window and Door Mfg Series #4900.

The Home Depot's estimate for the 6500 Series (a.k.a Reflections by Simonton 5500) is $3,500 more than the United Window and Door Mfg window # 4900. Is this window worth the extra money?

One point I would like to make is that Home Depot's "At Home Service" offers a Lifetime Warranty on their windows and it is also transferrable whenever we choose to sell the house.

Thanks in advance!!!!

http://www.unitedwindowmfg.com/4900.htm
(United Window and Door 4900 series)

vs.

http://www.simonton.com/homeowner/produ ... n=2&bhcp=1
(Reflections by Simonton 5500 Double Hung)

Bill

#5 Post by Bill »

The United windows are made not too far from me and i'm not impressed with anything they produce.

Is the 6500 worth that much more than the United Window? A better question is can you do better for the same Simonton window? Or if what Depot is asking is within your budget can you get a better performing window for the same figure.

In my neck of the woods I can provide the top of the line Simonton 9800 with triple pane for less than what Depot is getting for their 6500.

If the Simonton option does not work out I would look beyond United.

Bill
Uneeda Window of NJ

jlas75

#6 Post by jlas75 »

Thank you Bill! Unfortunately, most dealers in my area do not carry the Simonton 9800 (Impressions). The closest dealer is:

http://www.uneedawindow.com/home/

jlas75

#7 Post by jlas75 »

I live in a suburb outside of Philadelphia. Apparently, it is too far from Uneeda. How does HD's 6500 rate against its competition (other Double Hung windows with Double Pane glass). Based on my research, it is a very solid window.

Mass. window guy

#8 Post by Mass. window guy »

jlas75,
The website you posted is the website for the company of "Bill" the previous poster that answered your questions.

jlas75

#9 Post by jlas75 »

Interesting. Small world!

phillyray

#10 Post by phillyray »

what should be the going price per window for THD Simonton 6500's??? all under 90 UI(8 UNITS).. .. I can't say how terrible the experiences I have had with wondow reps. especially the one who brought the light show for me and wanted to stomp on the windows in my house.. .. I couldn't throw him out fast enough...

nonetheless, what should I pay for windows with installation. I have learned that the price of the Simonton 5500 with upgrades to match the 6500's come out to about $170, but what should this be with installation via HD?????

I have a quote of $4800 for the 8 windows. what should this really cost me, and why do i see the price per vary among 6500 buyers? so crazy.

CAN YA HELP ME OUT?

WindowsAdvice4u

Help for Phillyray

#11 Post by WindowsAdvice4u »

Your price sounds about right....pricing can vary from vendor to vendor depending on what you're getting or not getting, or think you're getting but really not...

If you've gotten a price from THD, remember its all inclusive, no upchrage for rotted wood and it includes wrapping the external wood trim in PVC Trim coil (a nice finishing touch). No surprises. Also, I expect them to be there for the long haul to backup their 2X Lifetime warranty..

Hope that helps..

bsedgwick

#12 Post by bsedgwick »

How does the Simonton pro-finish contractor series compare or stack up against the Reflections series? Thanks, Bill

Bill

#13 Post by Bill »

It depends on which Reflections window you are comparing the ProFinish Contractor to.

The Reflections 5500 is much better than the PF Contractor.

When compared to the 50/50 & the 5300 they are a little closer. The all share the same sash and weather-stripping but the main frame in the PF is thinner and the balance system is lighter duty.

The PF Contractor is a better window than the typical low end new construction vinyl but it’s not as good as Simonton’s mid grade or high end products.

Bill
Uneeda Window of NJ

jdettor

Re: Home Depot 6500 Series

#14 Post by jdettor »

Home depot is always higher in my area and they use subcontractors to install. remember , just as importnat as to the quality of the window is the quality of the install.

qwiksilvertrav

Re: Home Depot 6500 Series

#15 Post by qwiksilvertrav »

Pricing must vary by location also. I recently had about 8 different bids for replacing 13 windows in my house. ALL of them where pretty high and home depot came in at the lowest with a price of 8800.00 (about 900 for wrapping the windows). So more like 7900 installed before wrapping. I had bids from other companies in the cities here including champion, alside, and other window dealers and all of them offered similar products for thousands more and crappier warranties.

The install went great with HD, they replaced all 13 windows and wrapped them in one days work. It was some sub contracted guys but they where great. They where extremely experienced in window installation, put in a lot of insulation with the windows and sealed them up. Very top notch install in my case. All in all a great experience with them and a top notch warranty. Already noticed my furnace never kicks on now and we've had some well below freezing nights already here in MN.