Newpro "Marketing" window

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Bearhead56

Newpro "Marketing" window

#1 Post by Bearhead56 »

We sat through a demo for what we thought was the top of the line NewPro window made of silica?, kryton gas instead of argon, triple pane instead of 2. While we were impressed with the product, the final price was out of our budget range so we parted ways.
I was then contacted by the company saying that they could offer us their "marketing window" at a lower price. This must be of lower quality but I wonder if anyone has any experience with this window. They won't tell me how much cheaper or how less quality this other product is, but I don't want to waste time if it is junk.

thanks

TLHWINDOWS

Re: Newpro "Marketing" window

#2 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

They have got to sell you high when they promise you this:

"Newpro guarantees you will save at least 40%* on your home fuel consumption if you install our windows - or we'll pay the difference!"

I couldn't find what went with the asterik.

I'm not from around there, but if you didn't like their price, I would just move on. You can definetly find a Triple Pane, Super spacer, Krypton gas filled window from someone else. Besides that I've seen a window just like that window and just can't remember who the manufacture is... Maybe Soft-Lite?

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Fuel savings guarantees are bogus and that asterisk goes to a bunch of legal jargon that effectively lets them out of any obligation to make up for the delta in your energy bill for any amount of time after 6 months or so (that is typical).

randy

#4 Post by randy »

Besides that I've seen a window just like that window and just can't remember who the manufacture is... Maybe Soft-Lite?
You're most likely thinking of the Okna Starmark.

Bearhead56, you might contact Okna to find a dealer for their Starmark product in your area, if you liked the Newpro window. As to letting Newpro show you another window, I agree with TLHWindows - move on. Okna makes several lines of windows that you might want to consider if the Starmark is too expensive, and Soft-lite should be available in your area as well.

mpk

#5 Post by mpk »

bearhead - i think newpro makes a very good window. but their sales tactics are ridiculous. i assume their window (if standard sized) was minimum $800, and up to $1000 per window. If you can get them to around $700-800, it is a judgement call on your part if you want to pay $200-300 more per window compared to vinyl. I inherited some vinyl windows that were garbage in a former home - they warped, discolored, etc. i am positive the vinyl windows that the pro's install here would not experience the same problems, at least in the first 5 or so years... but i was never able to get over the cr*ppy vinyl windows i had before.

so, if you liked the newpro's, you can give them a take it or leave it offer. or you can check a few other options; like the okna starmark and other composite windows which probably are similar quality to newpro, better priced and not such a hard sell. or you can go with vinyl, which would be the cheapest option, and have comparable efficiency ratings. for me, paying an extra $150 per window on a composite was worth it. don't know if i'll be in the same house in 15 or 20 years, but maybe i will be. and i don't think you are guaranteed vinyl will hold up over that long a time period. the vinyl window frames were not nearly as impressive/sturdy as the composite windows i looked at.

TLHWINDOWS

#6 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

Just real quick, "composite" is not always better. I've seen "composite" materials decade after a few years in extreme conditions. I've seen vinyl decay too. But the vinyl used today isn't the same as is/was used for the materials that came out 10, even 5 years ago. Were not talking flimsy builders grade windows that use recycled materials and will become brittle.

Basically, composite may be nice, but not always the best.

My .02