Simonton 5500 quote help

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
dinfusion

Simonton 5500 quote help

#1 Post by dinfusion »

I received a quote today from a simonton dealer for the following

18 windows total
8 bedroom size windows
2 dining room windows 80" tall
1 slider
3 kitchen windows ( Half a bedroom window size)
1 Small kitchen window
2 small bathroom windows
1 long skinny window

Sorry for the crude descriptions.

Quote for the 5500 double hungs with no grids and the glass package that meets the energy tax credit standards was $10,597 installed, for an average of $588 a window.

I am new to the window world and didn't know of another brand i might should look at. I'm in the Dallas, TX area.

Also, will most Simonton dealers be right around the same price?

tom77

Re: Simonton 5500 quote help

#2 Post by tom77 »

I believe you could do better. Get a few more estimates and look at Gorell, Simonton 9800 , Softlite and the cost of the window depends on the glass package.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

It's impossible to say whether your price is fair or not without knowing the sizes of the windows, frame color, installation details, etc....

I would agree with the recommendation to look beyond Simonton. Soft-lite, Gorell, Sunrise would be three options that are available in Dallas.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Paging anthony...anthony you around...?

More details please to evaluate the quote more accurately.

dinfusion

#5 Post by dinfusion »

I'll post the measurements when I get back in town from the holiday. Thanks for the responses.

dinfusion

#6 Post by dinfusion »

I'll post the measurements when I get back in town from the holiday. Thanks for the responses.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

With out grids at first glance the bid seems high to me.
But not seeing the actual specs or the actual site it is difficult to be accuarate, also I do not know what the contract specs are. Glass breakage? Warranty?
My favorite window right now is the Soft-lite Imperial LS.
I have never had a product like this that the home onwers rave about after we are done.
That being said we start a Simonton 5500 install on Mon.

Windows Dun-Rite

#8 Post by Windows Dun-Rite »

The type of installation might have something to do with the price as well. But the price you were quoted doesn't seem too far off. If a company has first class professional installers then they are worth the extra money. A bad installation can make even the best windows perform poorly. That said paying a higher price for the same window doesn't guarantee a good install. Take the time to look at several jobs installed by a particular company. Call references. Do some research.

reagan32

#9 Post by reagan32 »

Dinfusion, what did you end up doing? I'm in Dallas and have received a comparable quote, albeit for fewer windows and a couple patio doors.