Simonton 7300 series vs. Milguard Tuscany

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
crrlygrrl

Simonton 7300 series vs. Milguard Tuscany

#1 Post by crrlygrrl »

We are replacing 10 windows in a 1944 home and live in Central California/Central Coast.

We are debating between Simonton 7300 series because of the narrow frame, or the Milguard Tuscany because of the equal sight line.

Warranty on both seem good. We especially like the double lifetime warranty on Simonton (yes, including screens, per Simonton's website http://www.simonton.com/Products/_FileD ... 20West.pdf).

Our windows are fairly standard sizes (only one is bigger than 48x46, most are in the 36x48 range).

Does anyone have any advice on whether it is "better" to have narrower frames to allow more window/have more llight come in, vs. an equal sight line? At this point we are trying to decide which flaw to settle with.

Also, we were leaning towards gridless sliders on most windows aside from the bathroom. Would it be too out of keeping for a 1944 ranch style home to NOT have single or double hungs?

Advice appreciated!

Skydawggy

Re: Simonton 7300 series vs. Milguard Tuscany

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

WRT site lines or a narrow frame, that's one you will have to decide for yourself. Both windows are pretty decent and both manuf. have pretty good reputations. DH is obviously easier to clean but if the house is a ranch SH will be fine also. I don't like sliders b/c of Air infiltration and water penetration issues. I would look at casements too. The AI on the 7300 is only .03.

Hopefully you are aware of the new EPA lead paint rules that go into effect on 04/22/2010.

crrlygrrl

#3 Post by crrlygrrl »

Thank you...

No, not aware of the new EPA rules regarding lead paint. Do you have a link?

Thanks for input on DH, SH vs. sliders.

Reasoning for sliders is that I've had 2 shoulder surgeries this past year and am trying to find windows that are easy to operate, however, I like the look of hung windows...

TLHWINDOWS

#4 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

Will91

#5 Post by Will91 »

Hi:

I looked at both Milgard and Simonton and thought the fit and finish of the Simonton was head and shoulders above Milgard. They will both perform well, but from an aesthetics standpoint, I think you will like the Simonton a whole lot better.

Joel

#6 Post by Joel »

I'm currently trying to decide the same thing. I'm leaning toward the Simonton 7300 series due to the smaller basil, more glass.

Any other opinions on the fit/finish/quality of the Simonton 7300 windows?

My installer also recommended I consider re-finishing the existing wood windows but they're kinda a mess (1938 house) and I live near the salty ocean so I'm concerned about maintenance. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Joel