How to choose an installer? And brand questions.

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
dadoph

How to choose an installer? And brand questions.

#1 Post by dadoph »

Ok window gurus, have a few questions about selecting a contractor/installer. I've spent the last few weeks researching window brands, trying to educate myself on what my personal price/quality tipping point is.

However, what I'm having trouble with now is how to choose an installer/contractor. In our area, we have a few window and door dealers that handle the entire transaction from start to finish. In fact, we had one of those dealers install a Provia patio door for us last year and so far have zero complaints or problems. In addition, we have several building supply companies in the area from whom I can get pretty much any brand (assuming it's sold in our region). However, in those cases, while the supply company will provide a list of installers, they are not otherwise involved. It should be noted that our budget for this does not allow for premium windows.

Here are my choices:
Dealer A sells and installs Gorrell and Alside (Provia dealer mentioned above)
Dealer B sells and installs Gilkey and Thermolock
Dealer C sells and installs Seabrooke and Alside
Local Pella, Marvin and Anderson stores
Champion, Air-Tite, Primax, Window World stores
Lowes and Home Depot and whatever they sell
Building supply dealers offer: Soft-Lite, PGT, Simonton, Atrium
you get the idea...

Generally speaking is it advantageous to buy the window and installation from the same place? Or is one better off buying the window that they want from and hiring an installer separately? Seems to me if there is a problem the manufacturer and installer might blame each other. Whereas one stop shopping might eliminate that. From what I've gathered, proper installation is just as important as the quality of window, so I don't want to select a good quality window and then make a mistake with the contractor.

Finally, our home is all vinyl. Rather than "replacement" windows, which I understand are designed to fit inside existing window frames, should we be looking for new construction windows instead? One contractor told me that they would simply remove the siding, remove the old window, install the new window and put the siding back up, with no 'wrapping' necessary.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for the help.

HomeSealed

Re: How to choose an installer? And brand questions.

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Answered your other post. :D

dadoph

#3 Post by dadoph »

Thanks. I thought that was a separate board. Is it connected to this one?

buddy110

#4 Post by buddy110 »

Dealer one, not because he sells Gorell although that's the best choice comparing what you've disclosed. Rather because he did a great job for you the first time.. Why look elsewhere?

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree with Buddy.

Windowsage

#6 Post by Windowsage »

You might want to look at the CertainTeed Bryn Mawr line of replacement windows.
They really do provide many standard features which are options on almost every other make of window. Their warranty exceeds almost all others as well and they are usually quite reasonably priced. They have made huge strides in quality control since Metal Industries started making them.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

windowsage what happened to the warranty of certainteed owners when viwinco was no longer a fabricator?

Windowsage

#8 Post by Windowsage »

anthony wrote:windowsage what happened to the warranty of certainteed owners when viwinco was no longer a fabricator?
Irrelevant now really. Metal Industries is a huge company and one of the top ten manufacturers of vinyl windows in the USA. They are not going anywhere and their lifetime warranty on glass breakage as well as limited lifetime warranty on the window and it's components is one of, if not, the best warranty out there.

Skydawggy

#9 Post by Skydawggy »

So you don't think it's an issue that Certainteed Windows have been made by several different manufacturers over the years and that each time they are made by someone else, the warranty becomes void for the consumer? You feel this makes it a good choice for the consumer?

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd be more concerned with the paper thin extrusion and AL of .29 :cry: ... MI is certainly a huge company, unfortunately its reputation is built on low-end new construction products.... I was actually pretty excited about the window when I first came across it given it's options and pricing, but then I saw the performance numbers and took a closer look at it.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:I'd be more concerned with the paper thin extrusion and AL of .29 :cry: ... .
This is part of their new ventilated fresh air design.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

:lol:

warrantyservice

#13 Post by warrantyservice »

Windowsage wrote:
anthony wrote:windowsage what happened to the warranty of certainteed owners when viwinco was no longer a fabricator?
Irrelevant now really. Metal Industries is a huge company and one of the top ten manufacturers of vinyl windows in the USA. They are not going anywhere and their lifetime warranty on glass breakage as well as limited lifetime warranty on the window and it's components is one of, if not, the best warranty out there.

Look around, most of your Manufactures offer the same warranty, so Certainteeds warranty is no better. If you are happy with your original Dealer then do the right thing and give him repeat business. Really it's a no brainer.

warrantyservice

#14 Post by warrantyservice »

Windowsage wrote:You might want to look at the CertainTeed Bryn Mawr line of replacement windows.
They really do provide many standard features which are options on almost every other make of window. Their warranty exceeds almost all others as well and they are usually quite reasonably priced. They have made huge strides in quality control since Metal Industries started making them.

I work for a Company that used to Manufacture for Certainteed, they were only an Extruder. The Warranty varied from one Licensed Manufacture to the next. Yes we still cover warranty on those Certainteed Windows, even though we haven't built them for nearly 10 years now. Maybe the quality from the extruder has gotten better, I certainly hope so for that is the reason we left.