Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-219-5332

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Basement Hopper Windows
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:01 pm 

As mentioned in previous post...I am replacing the windows in my home. Gonna go with Sunrise Vanguard. Unfortunately, the smallest opening for a basement window that Sunrise makes is 12 5/8 inch height. My old windows are in steel frams in concrete foundation and have only a 12 inch height....so Sunrise is out. The contractor talked bout using 4 Alside windows for basement for about $1,400.00. With all I have read...Alside windows leak air and I am replacing leaky windows so basement family room remodel can be enjoyed-wife does not like cold. Any suggestions for better Quality basement windows???? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Post subject: Re: Basement Hopper Windows
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:17 pm 

What other products does he have access to? There are other decent products that will go down to 12" on the height. I know for sure that Gorell does....
I will say though in regard to the Alside, the smaller and less complicated a window is, it will be that much less likely to experience issues. I think in a small window like that, and that fact that it is a compression seal, minimal hardware, etc, the Alsides should do the job if it comes down to that.
....also, this is slightly off-topic, but if you are remodeling the basement, make sure that it is insulated and sealed properly . Here is a great link from buildingscience.com : http://www.buildingscience.com/document ... on-systems