Wondering if price is in the ballpark

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
drbubba1995

Wondering if price is in the ballpark

#1 Post by drbubba1995 »

My wife and I are looking to replace 14 double hung 6 over 6 windows in our 1940 home in Decatur,GA.

We got a quote from a local window contractor for Alside UltraMaxx vinyl windows that came in at $7500. We are awaiting a few more estimates but I was wondering if these numbers are in the ball park?

Thanks for any feedback.

Windows on Washington

Re: Wondering if price is in the ballpark

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Any more details about the installation and the options in the window?

That price is not out of the range of normal but I think there are a bunch of other good windows out there that bear consideration.

drbubba1995

#3 Post by drbubba1995 »

This is the quote

Replace 14 windows at my address. New windows will be Alside Ultramaxx series white vinyl replacement windows with Climatech Low E/Argon insulated windows, 1/2 screen, colonial simulated divided lite grids/muntin bars and manufacture's lifetime warranty. All window grids to be 6/6 with exception of 2 front windows (8/8), small kitchen windows (4/4) and small bathroom window (4/4). Bathroom window will be obscure privacy glass.

All windows to be professionally installed and sealed inside/outside with paintable siliconized sealant. Price includes all materials, labor, tax and haul off/cleanup.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

What type of window (wood, vinyl, metal) are they pulling out.

With SDLs in the quote, that number is crazy low.

drbubba1995

#5 Post by drbubba1995 »

The current windows are wood 6/6 single pane glass. We've lived here 25 years so the windows are older than that. All the guys who came by for estimates tell me the current windows are not 1940 original. They tell me the sashes and tracks that the windows ride up and down in were replacements probably from the late 70's early 80's.

Is the term pocket window the appropriate term. My understanding is the companies will remove the current sashes and tracks and then put in a double hung window that fits in the remaining opening.

By the way, what does SDL mean?

Thanks again.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

SDL stands for simulated divided lite. It refers to a grid that is embedded into the outside of the glass, not a snap in. Its a very expensive option.
Your cost may be cheaper because the Alside Ultramaxx is NOT a premium grade window.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

Does the price include capping the exterior of the windows in aluminum coil?

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

Maybe they quoted you for grids inside the glass?? i would double check.

drbubba1995

#9 Post by drbubba1995 »

Guys, Thanks for all your replies.

Masterext, can you suggest a couple of other brands that you think are better than this UltraMaxx? I'm awaiting a simonton and an integrity by marvin (fiberglass) quote bu think it will be next week before I hear anything.

Thanks again.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

Higher end / well engineered vinyl would be the following brands:

Okna
HiMark
Soft Lite
Gorell
Sunrise

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd agree with all of the other comments so far. That price is right around the normal range up until you add in the SDL grids which are VERY pricey. That means that you'll have grids on the interior and exterior surface of the glass rather than in between the panes. A very rich look, but most folks dont like it because it is much harder to clean.
Master ext gave you a great list of products that will offer superior performance and generally enjoy a better reputation for quality. They also will all offer a welded, sloped sill for water evacuation, whereas the product in question directs water through channels in the sill. That sill design is a bit bulkier resulting in more glass loss, and also has the potential to clog, causing a variety of issues. The 8000 series from that manufacturer would be a better choice.
Last edited by HomeSealed on Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

+1 to expand your search to the mfg mentioned.
1940, has anyone done a lead test, or given you EPA/RR brochure to read?

theWindowNerd

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

anthony wrote:+1 to expand your search to the mfg mentioned.
1940, has anyone done a lead test, or given you EPA/RR brochure to read?

theWindowNerd
This may vary by market, but around here contractors cannot do the lead test unless they have an xrf gun (99.999999% do not), and the RR pamphlet is typically furnished with the contract rather than prior to it. WI does have tighter regs on the lead testing though.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

Different for different states in this case.

toddinmn

#15 Post by toddinmn »

To do any type of lead testing in the land of cheese, you have to be a licensed lead risk assessor or inspector. You could then test for lead by either XRF or take lead chip sample to an approved laboratory.
Wisconsin is more strict with this since they enforce the EPA rules in there state and they have a lower threshold for what is condsidered lead paint than HUD guidelines.Test kits are not available that test to these standards.
There are currently 12 states that have there own program, the rest would fall under EPA juristiction.The EPA is trying to get individual states to take over enforcement.Some states will be more restrictive as they will combine the EPA rules with there more restrictive abatement rules.