New construction question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
samu0030

New construction question

#1 Post by samu0030 »

My wife and I are planning to build a home around Madison, WI with a big builder in the area. The standard window they install in homes is the Weathershield Visions 3000, which, after some research on the web and talking with numerous current (unhappy) homeowners with these windows, I quickly nixed. The alternative window the builder came up with was the Pella Encompass. I've seen some poor reviews/chatter about this window also but can't find specific reasons they're labeled as "junk". I know with the Visions windows people I spoke with experienced seal failures, leaking, rotting, etc in as little as 3 years. Would anyone expect the same from the Pella line? Does anyone have suggestions that I could pursue?

Thanks for any help.

Windows on Washington

Re: New construction question

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Samu,

I think a similar amount of research would probably highlight some questionable feedback on Pella as well.

What kind (i.e. material) of window are you wanting?

I hope in WI that they are giving you a triple pane option.

samu0030

#3 Post by samu0030 »

Currently we have Kolbe wood windows (in our current house) and have had no problems with seals, weatherstripping, rotting, etc. I'm not opposed to vinyl in a new house but am unsure what the benefit (beside cost) is to vinyl over wood. Would you say that all Pella choices are poor? What about the 350 line? I really am unsure of what to look for in windows; everyone knows the big names (Pella, Andersen, Marvin) but I, as well as most homebuyers, know very little other than "Hey, I've heard of them; they must be ok."

Would you have any advice as to what to ask about/for with our builder? This is not a custom home builder but they seem willing to work with me on substitutions, etc. Considering what we're talking about spending on the house, I would hate to install substandard windows.

Thanks

Bob

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Bob,

Start with what you are comfortable looking at. If you want wood, we can make plenty of recommendations in wood (you have one of the best in the Kolbe).

If you want fiberglass, there are a couple in FG.

If you want vinyl, there are a bunch of good ones.

samu0030

#5 Post by samu0030 »

First, thanks for the help. Windows seem like such an overlooked part of one's house..until you're unhappy with them.

Second, if I were to go with wood I really like Kolbe. I will ask the builder if they work with Kolbe at all; though it seems like they're pushing vinyl. I'm not sure if this is due to energy efficiency or what. This builder's big claim is building "green", highly efficient homes...but they're only that way if the windows aren't leaking, right? :) I would like to research vinyl windows that are probably comparable, price-wise from the Pella Encompass to the Pella 350 line...since those are really my two frames of reference right now. Would you have specific recommendations for brand that would be able to come in in that range? Also, since this builder would be doing the install, are any specific brands really tricky for installers not accustomed to working with them?

Thanks again,

Bob

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Bob,

If those are my vinyl options, I would say neither. Get with your builder and see what he will allow for.

If you are married to vinyl, talk to Brandon at HomeSealed (he is in Milwaukee) and he can get you builder set up with some Okna Envirostar (triple pane, argon) units that are sub U-Factor 0.20 with argon.

Great air numbers, DP-60, hardware options, etc.

They are so far superior to the Encompass and 350 it's not a fair fight.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice above. The Visions and Pella Encompass are really "builder grade" vinyl choices. The 350 is a bit higher end, but it has a pocket sill and the performance is not commensurate with what you will typically pay.
Okna, Sunrise, Softlite, and a few others (in vinyl) all offer new construction variants that offer top level performance. Pay close attention to u-factor and air infiltration ratings as you search. If you spend some time here on the board, there is a wealth of information out there.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree with Windows on Washington that you should get in contact with Homesealed .
Brandon will be able to sell your builder high performance new construction vinyl windows.

The main reason new construction builders like vinyl is cost.
Both in the initial product cost and in the finished delivery cost which includes interior trim options .