Good deal?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Newtowindows3

Good deal?

#1 Post by Newtowindows3 »

Hi everyone I was hoping you might have some advice. I had a sales rep come out and quote for 10 Fortis triple pane double hung windows. One was a more expensive window that was next to my shower in the bathroom. All windows are approx 46-47. The out the door price for full replacement/installation is 6000. Does this seem high or a good deal?

TheWindowNerd

Re: Good deal?

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

With out knowing all the details it is difficult to comment on the price range.
Get at least another quote.
Also you need to know what is the best glazing package for your area, also the U, SHGC, and importantly the AI for the specific model you are considering.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

As WN said, there are many factors that go in to determining how good or bad that price is. That said,it is definitely within the range of reason. I'd say around average actually for a good window/installation from an established company. On product, the Fortis is not bad, although you may be able to find a top performer for the same price. I'd include Okna/Himark, Elements by Softlite, Restorations by Sunrise, and a coupel others on the "elite" list. Where are you located? That will determine hat is availble to you.

Newtowindows3

#4 Post by Newtowindows3 »

Yes. I live in cleveland, Ohio. The company that did the quote is window nation. U factor .22, shgc .28 and air leakage is nominal. The window is triple pane ultra low e/argon gas. There are no grids, half screens and one tempered full glass window for the bathroom. Does this help clarify? It was high pressure sales and I have today and two more days to cancel (or negotiate further). Thanks for the assistance!

randy

#5 Post by randy »

It was high pressure sales and I have today and two more days to cancel (or negotiate further).
If you felt pressured into signing a contract before evaluating other options, I'd cancel. The price they gave you yesterday will still be good in another week or two. Purchasing new windows should be a one time investment, if done right. This is not a decision to be rushed.

Okna, Soft-lite and Sunrise would be three options to consider before making your decision. Find a quality product AND a company that you feel comfortable doing business with.

Newtowindows3

#6 Post by Newtowindows3 »

Any recommendations on a mid range window for NE Ohio? My home is valued around 175k so I didnt want to over or under invest in my windows.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

The price range that you are in is about right for a good product company. Typically the high pressure companies are the way they are because they are trying to sell a similar window for TWICE that price.
I don't know much about the dealer in question, but like randy I'd advise that you find a company that you feel comfortable with. Product and install are very important, but so is being able to trust the outfit that you are making a sgnificant investment with. If you are unsure, cancel the contract and do some more research. You can always come back to that option if you find that it was best.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

It is a great price if full replacement is a full tear out with nail fins, interior and exterior trim replacement exterior wrap. I'd make sure price is not for inserts which makes more sense at that price which still seems low for triple pane in a pretty good window from a high pressure sale.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would look for an independent dealer that is more than a one trick pony and shows respect for you as a consumer.
By that I mean that they are not forceful and that they offer at least three top line mfg. and can help you choose which is right for you.

"The leakage is nominal", but no test results???

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Good catch by Todd above. My assessment is based on "replacement" style installation as opposed to full tear-out, your original post could be interpreted either way. That pricing would be WAY low for full tearouts, but I suspect that is not the case.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The OP does leave the terminology open for clarification.
Based on the window and the company mentioned elsewhere, I think we are talking about an insert type install.

It is interesting how a homeowner could be confused about full tear/full frame vs. insert, add to that tilt pact/sash replacement and then also flanged primes such as vinyl and aluminum.