Which quality vinyl replacements fall into my price range?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Captainobvious

Which quality vinyl replacements fall into my price range?

#1 Post by Captainobvious »

First, thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Our home has 31 windows, 29 of which are in need of replacement very soon. Because of the cost of doing the whole house, we are planning to do 2 rooms whose windows are in the worst shape first, and then do more rooms as the budget allows. The size and quantity of windows in the home (sizes are just under the 100 sq/in mark to keep us in a more affordable tier at about 92sq/in for a few and about 98 sq/in for the majority) as well as the fact that we plan to live in the home for 20+ years makes us want a window that will be reasonably efficient as well as well made and long lasting. We live in Exton, Pennsylvania so you can have an idea of our region and the right specs needed.

We know little about windows and had Window Nation come out first (mistake) and were totally turned off by the hard sell. Needless to say, we won't be doing business with them.

We also got some pricing on a few other models from 2 different companies. (I should also mention that we plan to do the install ourselves with the assistance of a friend who does them so prices are for the windows themselves, no install). The prices are with double pane, low-e argon and with grids.

1. Alside Mezzo which was in the $250 range.
2. Signature Seaway model which was about $340.
3. Viwinco Cambridge model was $300
4. Dailey MFG Elite 4000 model $290
I'm not sure if anyone here will be familiar with Dailey MFG in Willow Grove, PA but a friend told me to visit them so I checked them out. They make their own windows and have been around since the 50's. The windows seemed well built but I don't know what all I'm looking at to be honest. Their ratings were 0.29 U value and 0.30 SHGC. Hopefully you guys can tell me if they look decent from the web info. Here's their link: daileymfg.com/windows/

From doing some reading here, I also see that Okna and Sunrise are highly recommended. Part of my problem is that I don't have any idea what these cost and what models to be looking at.

We are trying to stay in the $300-325 range or below, but if there is a significant increase in durability, performance, etc for a moderate price increase we would consider it. (Especially with how many windows we have and their size).

Which brands/models would fall into our price range that we should be looking at? . Also, who would be some recommended sellers of said recommended brands in our area so we can reach out to them. We want to place our order asap as we know there is usually a waiting period for them to be made/arrive and we have some other work going on at the house so the timing is right.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer!!

Windows on Washington

Re: Which quality vinyl replacements fall into my price range?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The thermal numbers you are referencing there are average at best and I think you should aim a bit higher.

That might be difficult with the budget number you are trying to stay within. That is an ultra low number if you are looking for a quality unit.

Captainobvious

#3 Post by Captainobvious »

Thanks for the response.

Are the Seaway's not good enough quality? I don't know much about them.

For a lower/mid range window from Sunrise, Okna or other, what is the price range that they typically sell for (without installation)? Which models? What else should I be looking at?

Looking at the specs of these windows from above (except the Mezzo):

Signature Seaway- 0.27-0.29 U factor, 0.25-0.28 SHGC, .01 CFM/ft2 air infiltration, foam fill

Viwinco Cambridge- 0.29 U factor, 0.25 SHGC, .10 air infiltration, structural rating of 50

I just requested the full specs of the Dailey Elite 4000 as well so I can see how they compare as well.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Seaway numbers look pretty good actually.

Captainobvious

#5 Post by Captainobvious »

Just got the NFRC certification numbers on the Dailey Elite 4000 model.

U factor: 0.29
SHGC: 0.30
Visibile Transmittance: 0.52
Condensation Resistance: 54

Cert also shows:
Authorized for NFRC 100 (u factor)
Authorized for NFRC 200 for (SHGC and VT)
Authorized for NFRC 500 for Condensation Resistance
Not Authorized for NFRC 400 for air leakage

Are these reasonable specs for the price range or could we be doing better?

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would look at Okna/Himark 800DX which will be in your price range
.01 air leakage, .26U , lifetime warranty

patgilm

#7 Post by patgilm »

Funny, my experience with window nation was the best but I actually went in to the store and had them price everything out on the spot in a half hour so there was no hard sales pitch, etc. and they had the best pricing by far of everyone I had come to my house. I have heard similar experiences with them as you did when they come to your house though.

As far as windows go, where I live in MD you can't get a decent window in your budget. Even the Mezzo was around $500 per window installed.
Last edited by patgilm on Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

Let me say that $50 for Mezzo is too much, yes it's that bad. Seaway sounds like the best of the bunch, however it's been a very long time since I've seen any of their products.

Since you're planning on installing the windows with your friend, I'd look for a product that would be sold out of reputable building supply house that may offer manufacturer's representation if something is manufactured 100% correctly. Besides the Seaway product, Lansing Building products offers various Simonton lines like the Impressions 9800 and the tried and true, but dated 5500. Up in Northern Delaware (tax free) some window contractors like the Paradigm products out of Maine. It's nothing special, but if anything is wrong Paradigm and J & L personally come out right away to see what the heck is going on with their product.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

The Seaway is the only consideration of that bunch for me.
That said, I believe that the window nerd may offer some service to your area. I know that he sells a couple of the top product lines on a diy basis, so I'd recommend reaching out via his get a quote button.

Captainobvious

#10 Post by Captainobvious »

Thank you all for your great feedback. I'll reach out to the window nerd and see what he recommends.

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

Window Nation LOL...... They remind me of the aliens in the movie Independence day in that these kinds of outfits just move into an area, market the hell out of it, use up all the natural resources, and move on. Bunch of used care salesmen at best. They do a decent window though, but "Installed by the Masters" is one of their radio slogans by one of the stations that I listen to everyday. Statements like that or "We couldn't be more happier", "buy 1 get 20 free," "free installation" mean RUN LIKE HELL!

patgilm

#12 Post by patgilm »

Delaware Mike wrote:Window Nation LOL...... They remind me of the aliens in the movie Independence day in that these kinds of outfits just move into an area, market the hell out of it, use up all the natural resources, and move on. Bunch of used care salesmen at best. They do a decent window though, but "Installed by the Masters" is one of their radio slogans by one of the stations that I listen to everyday. Statements like that or "We couldn't be more happier", "buy 1 get 20 free," "free installation" mean RUN LIKE HELL!
Like I said above, I have had at least 10 companies come to my house and all had the same sales pitch, buy today and you get this discount, pay cash you get this discount, etc. Every single one of them including some you mention here that is highly regarded. I hate those tactics and will not use a company solely based on those tactics as I don't want to feel pressured when I am making an expensive purchase. Plus they were more than $3k more with those BS discounts. Most likely because I went to the store but Window Nation was 100% different, cash was the same price, no need for a sign in my front yard for a discount, etc. Yes they do not have their own installers and they were up front about that as they have soft-lite employees install. The guy that came out to measure was a Softlite employee they flew out from Ohio. I'm not sure if that matters but they should at least know what they are doing.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#13 Post by masterext »

Patgilm
Who had 10 estimates ?? Thats a record i m i never heard anyone getting that many estimates. I think after 3 or 4, anything more is kind of a waste of time.
Seaway is the best of that group by far.

patgilm

#14 Post by patgilm »

masterext wrote:Patgilm
Who had 10 estimates ?? Thats a record i m i never heard anyone getting that many estimates. I think after 3 or 4, anything more is kind of a waste of time.
Seaway is the best of that group by far.
Me, I am a CPA so I am probably the worst person to deal with and get paralysis by analysis. The prices are all over the place on windows so I looked at every company and every product to research until I feel comfortable. I looked at Okna, Sunrise, Simonton, Soft-Lite, Vytex, Revere, Mezzo, Affinity, Super Seal, Anderson, Thomson Creek and Slocumb. The prices were all over the place and everyone claimed their product was the best. Because of this I found this forum and was able to narrow it down to Okna, Sunrise, Soft-Lite, Vytex and Affinity and in the same product class, Window Nation had no hard sale and I got a price that was way cheaper than anyone else without having them come to my house to do the hard sale buy one get one free BS. Every single person that came to my house was there for 2 hours with the same heat lamp presentation, buy today and this is the price, put a sign in my yard, etc.

I am looking at Provia doors now and it is the same way, I got 5 quotes anywhere from $6k-$12k (one actually said the list price for the door and installation was $22k but would give me a 50% discount if I signed today) for the exact same door so why wouldn't I price it out when they are all over the place. Luckily for me a friend that is a contractor got me his price on the door/storm door which was $4,200 so at least I know what they are getting the door for and can pay a reasonable mark up with installation.

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The OP just bought the Okna/HiMark 800 DX from me as a DIY.