Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-219-5332

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: RBS Performance Plus or Amcraft Grand Estates Original?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:10 pm 

Hi

After getting a number of quotes, we almost went with Soft-Lite Pro for out 10 vinyl replacements ($5000 installed). soft-lite.com/windows/pro/DoubleHung.asp

Our second choice would be RBS Performance Plus ($4200 installed). richards-supply.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/rbs-performance-plus-one.pdf

But, our neighbor who works for ABC can get us Amcraft Grand Estates Original for $1750, and we'd probably have to pay another $2000 separately for install. amcraft.com/products/vinyl-windows/grand-estates-original

I don't really care about the tax credit, this is more of a cosmetic upgrade. Our heating bills were pretty low with our current wood windows. We do have some windows in the 28" width ballpark that I'm concerned about losing glass space. Does anyone know the exact frame width of all three options? Any other things to consider? Warranty looks pretty solid on all. Maybe I'm overthinking this. What would you choose and why?

Post subject: Re: RBS Performance Plus or Amcraft Grand Estates Original?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:18 pm 

Personally I'd go back to the Softlite. Solid window from a respected manufacturer, and low price. It is also going to be the slimmest-lined (more glass) option. Apples to apples, the u factor, air leakage, dp, etc performance ratings should all be a fair bit better on that window than the others.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:29 pm 

+1

Of that collection, I prefer the Soft-Lite Pro.

Can they get you into a Soft-Lite Imperial LS?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:37 am 

Thanks, guys. The one thing I don't like about the Soft-Lite is the beveled exterior edge.

I can ask about the Imperial, what's the difference with that model?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:46 am 

The Imperial LS is a superior model. The pro/classic used to be Softlite's main line years ago, and was replaced by the LS/Elements which are top level offerings. That said, the Pro is still solid and better than most lower -mid grade products.

On the exterior look, nobody can fault you for having an opinion on that, I'd only suggest that something like that could be a deciding factor when you have two choices that are apples to apples. I would be careful about giving too much weight to a small aspect of appearance though when you are comparing to products that are not on the same level in the performance/quality spectrum.