Recommendations in Philadelphia, PA

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
philawindow

Recommendations in Philadelphia, PA

#1 Post by philawindow »

Hello,

I'm in Philadelphia and looking for a window replacement recommendation. I'm replacing aluminum windows that function but look terrible. My priorities are mainly aesthetic: not losing too much in the way of glass space, and avoiding a Low-e coating (this may sound crazy but I just hate how the coating looks. HATE). I know Sunrise windows are good windows and provide a thinner frame. Does anyone know of any good installers that do Sunrise in my area? Are there other windows with thin frames that I should look into? Could I get Sunrise windows without Low-e coating?

Also, as it is, there is no interior trim around my windows. We tore that off when we were remodeling to put on new sheetrock. Do you think it would be a good idea to ask for a full frame replacement since we'd need new trim anyway? How much does that add to the cost? I've read that full frame replacements are better in terms of insulation and also maximize the size of the windows, but I'm not sure what I'd be getting into with that additional step.

HomeSealed

Re: Recommendations in Philadelphia, PA

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Sunrise makes a decent narrow lined window, as does Okna which is in your backyard. As far as the low-e coating, they have gotten more sophisticated over the years and are much less noticeable than they used to be in terms of the tint. Sure you can get a window without it, but its highly recommended.

On installation, a good pocket install will get you most of the benefit of a full frame, but a full frame will net you more glass and will address insulation issues around the existing frame IF they exist. Since your casing is already off, that could easily be foamed as well without the full tearout. Ultimately, I'd get a pro opinion or two as there are other factors that can go into that. Definitely expect a much up-charge though either way.

On installers, may depend on exactly where you are located. I believe that two highly qualified contributors here: the window nerd, and Delaware Mike serve areas around Philly. Both are masters of their trade.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Since you have no trim and would like to add it back it makes sense to me to do full tears. Also you can pick the trim design: traditional, craftsman, modern, etc.
In vinyl we can do Soft-lite, Sunrise, or Okna. My personal preference is the Okna 800DX for double hungs.
If you want a narrow frame you might consider wood Ultrex by Marvin. They will be more expensive. We can show you samples of both.

theWindowNerd

philawindow

#4 Post by philawindow »

I live in South Philly. Window Nerd, could I get a consultation? I would love to see the difference between an Okna window and a Sunrise. I'm having a hard time finding an Okna dealer; their site is terrible. I put in my info and got no response days later. I'm having another Sunrise installer come out for an estimate and I've gotten many, many quotes for what seem like crappy vinyl windows to me. I found one brand, the Eco Shield 2000 HP series, that don't look bad and seems sturdy. Anyone have experience with EcoShield?

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Phila, in the 3 vinyl choices that Nerd has, you pretty much have the cream of the crop. You can click on the "Get a Quote" button by his name on the left. You won't find a more honest and ethical operation.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

The Nerd knows !
I'd take the Okna above the Sunrise without hesitation if we're talking double Hungs.

philawindow

#7 Post by philawindow »

I tried the Request a Quote thing but I'm not sure it worked. I put in my info and submit it but it just reloads the page with the same info in the fields, not typical of a submitted form. So. Let me know if you have my info, Window Nerd. My first name is Bella.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

Bella
You DEFINITELY want a LowE coating. LowE reflects heat back to its original source and it does a great job at doing that. LowE reflects the heat back inside the home in the winter and away from the home in the summer. Not only does it make your home much more comfortable, it makes your home much more energy efficient by putting less of a need on your AC units and heating units.
The higher end lowE coatings work very well. Since you live in the northeast, you want a lowE coating that is designed for your climate. You can easily tell by looking at the SHGC number on the window sticker. The SGHC number should be .26 or higher but not higher than a .31.
This will enable you to take some advantage of passive solar heat gain in the winter months.
The tint will also be much less pronounced with the moderate to higher SHGC numbers.
Example, a double hung window with a .22 SHGC in double pane glass would render more of a tint. Usually, the lower the SHGC, the more tint you will get. A low SHGC is meant for the south/ southwest in heat domiated area's. I can get real technical regarding which windows face the sun ect.., but the general rule regarding SHGC that i use works very well.
The Ufactor is totally different, the lower the better.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I have your info Bella.
If Greg has not contacted you yet, he or I will tonight.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can't go wrong with Greg and the the guys at Taylor and Young.