okna 500

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
wonderlady

okna 500

#1 Post by wonderlady »

Hi I am wondering if $470 per unit is high for an Okna 500 with the foam frame. That price does not include the grids or installation. With installation it breaks down to $705 per window.

HomeSealed

Re: okna 500

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Definitely not outside the normal range. Other factors such as size, options, install circumstances (on the installed price) will factor in as well, but certainly no red flags, particularly if this is from an established, reputable company.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

That price without installation is well within the normal pricing parameters that we see.
I would highly recommend having your authorized Okna dealer perform the installation.
Far too often we see homeowners attempt to save money by having their own contractor who remodels basements, kitchens, and baths and claims " they have installed hundreds of windows". Usually there always seems to be problems with the windows in that scenario. Either their contractor somehow damages the window or the window isnt properly installed.
Most window manufacturers wont warranty a window when its not installed by an authorized dealer. If the window isnt handled properly and its damaged, why would a company warranty negligence? If a window isnt installed properly and the opening leaks water or air, why should a window company be responsible.
With an authorized dealer, any damages he creates will be covered, whether by the manufacturer or the authorized dealer himself. Any install related issue would be properly handled by the authorized dealer.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

Perhaps within range , but maybe on the high side. More details would be needed or get a few more bids for some comparable high quality Windows that would compare with the Okna.

wonderlady

#5 Post by wonderlady »

I was thinking it was on the high side. From what I was seeing from other peoples posts on other threads. I know the installation cost is fine. The company however wont budge any on the price.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

On pricing it is really all relative. Someone could sell that window installed for $550 and make a higher profit than the guy for $750 or even $1000 because of all the overhead involved for larger companies, regional location, etc. Are there companies that sell this and other top performing windows near and over $1000 per unit and aren't gouging because they have 17% marketing cost and 100 employees? Yes. Can you also find the window for $550 installed by a small, typically home based operation? Yes. Can both do a great install? Certainly. Beyond that there are other pros, cons, and risks involved. As a younger, cockier man I'd always try to find the best deal (aka lowest price). Them I realize that the tool that costs 30% less breaks after two years, the cheaper landscaper doesn't fix the tire tracks in the yard and has weeds growing in the flowers by next spring, and the lower cost orthodontist required a second set of braces on my kid.... Nothing is guaranteed of course, but again, it's all relative, and $700's fully installed by an established firm with a great reputation is really in the middle. In fact, if the Craig's list guy that pulls up halfway into a 12'ver of Pabst is $450, and the high pressure wing tip wearing sales sharks are $1200, you are probably closer to the lower end than higher.

Coming down from my soap box now, but if there is any moral to the story, it's pick a great window, pick a great, reliable, established, and reputable company to install, and then see where the price shakes out. Personally I'd pay a little more for the peace of mind... Also, I definitely do agree with masterext. Unless you have some serious chops for carpentry and diy projects, I'd have it professionally done and call it a day. Frankly, IF the product only price is a little high, it's probably because they want to discourage that route. Homeowner installs poorly, blames product = PITB for the company that sold it