American Craftsman Windows - Sold by Home Depot

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Ron J. Moore

American Craftsman Windows - Sold by Home Depot

#1 Post by Ron J. Moore »

I was talking with a couple the other day and they mentioned they bought their windows thru Home Depot and believe the brand name was American Craftsman. They went on to say how satisified they were with the quality, fit, and the price.
Does anyone have these installed or have any info? I don't have a HD close by (80 miles), so I am hoping someone here can comment. Thanks, Ron

Alacoyote

#2 Post by Alacoyote »

I find myself somewhat torn responding to a post here because I just joined last month when I was in the midst of heavy-duty research on finding the right windows for my house. I don't profess to be an expert by any means but have learned a few things in the last month.

There is a Home Depot about 3 miles from my house so I checked out their American Craftsman line when I was still considering purchasing and installing the windows myself. American Craftsman is the HD brand name for Silverline windows. They even use the same numbering system for the double-hung series (8500 and 9500). HD was running a special through the end of June where they "upgraded" you to the 9500 series at the 8500 price if you bought at least 4 windows (the 9500 comes with LowE and Argon standard). It's now July, of course, but sometimes HD will extend their specials.

As for the quality of Silverline windows, there have been plenty of posts about them on this Discussion Board. Either scroll down through the topics (there was a post within the last week) or use the Search function that is available on this Discussion Board. My general impression is that they are thought of as "builder grade" (i.e. not particularly good) windows but depending on your needs and budget, they might be fine for you. Clear Choice dealers also sell Silverline windows, if by chance you have one of these dealers nearby.

PK

#3 Post by PK »

American Craftsman from HD uses a spiral balance which tends to make the window difficult to open and close after a while. Look for a window with a block and tackle system. Also AC has a very bulky look compared to other brands. As far as price, unless you are looking for one of the stock sizes that they carry, you can get a much better window for the same if not lower price

Tackleberry

#4 Post by Tackleberry »

PK, on american craftsman's website they indicate they use a "Constant Force Balance" on the 8500 series. Is this the same thing as a spiral balance? Their 1200 series uses a "block and tackle". Is block and tackle better? I am not familiar with the differences in these terms, and am confused why they would use a better system on their lower end window.