reputable brands for DIY installation

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rnorton

reputable brands for DIY installation

#1 Post by rnorton »

We are in the research phase of obtaining DH vinyl replacement windows (23) for our home just outside of Balt, MD.. We wish to install the windows ourselves and I am unsure how to decipher who sells windows for DIY installation in our internet and print searches.
We are much more concerned with our heating bills than our cooling bills and want a highly energy efficient product (with a solid warranty). I feel pretty confident about our installation ability as we will have the assistance of our very experienced in-laws (my in-laws, her parents) who are retired, so we can take our time.
I know the Giants - Lowes and Home depot have windows for DIY installation (of those Pella was the most recognizable name but their literature didn't even publish their NFRC numbers) but are there others? Any recommended brands especially on the higher end of energy efficiency and durability.
We have a 1920's craftsman style home with a mixture of large windows 30-35X60) and several smaller windows. We are hoping to get a top quality window and spend around 6K - any advice would be greatly appreciated.

InfoSponge

#2 Post by InfoSponge »

For DIY, I would consider the Simonton 5500 or 9800 windows. They are high-quality and widely-available. Depending on the size, model, and options and your location they will run about $200 - $300 per window from a distributor.