Need windows and advice..help please!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
kcppear

Need windows and advice..help please!

#1 Post by kcppear »

I have posted twice here but gotten no responses. This is my first time on discussion boards....am I doing something wrong?
If so sorry!!!
I am clueless on windows, read lots here and learned some but mostly that I need to learn more before I can make the investment.
Anybody able to help me out?
Thanks! :(

Windows on Washington

Re: Need windows and advice..help please!

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

what were your previous questions?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Your question about FenEx... He stops in once in a while but his business model has gotten away from installing windows. He's doing great work consulting with large corporations on energy issues.

I think another question you had was on Feldco. They are a large and successful professional sales outfit. You will get some buy-tonight sales pressure.
I've heard on other forums that some of their products over the years have been made by Silverline, Accuweld, and Thermal Industries. There may be others.
I've stopped by installations they were doing a couple times to ask some questions about their windows and to check out their installation techniques to form an opinion of them, but none of the workers spoke English. That's not uncommon in Chicago though as a good portion of Chicago's installers are polish immigrants.

kcppear

#4 Post by kcppear »

Thanks for the replies!

There was some pressure when the Feldco guy was here, but even with their "go green discount" of an extra 10% off if you help them save energy by only making them have to come out once and sign on the dotted line the first night they were not going to sell me yet.
I was so thankful that I had visited here, at least I knew some questions to ask!!
We were quoted their Sophia Series, that is their top of the line. The salesman said they mfg their own windows in IN.
So how do I go about comparing them to others I have heard about here?
Double Hungs, double pane, 7/8" glass, argon enhanced lowE ??, aluminum master frame, multi chambered construction,
UPVC vinyl, polystyrene foam filled chambers, insulating foam compression wrap, mitered welded sashes and frames,finseal weather stripping ...did I leave anything out? We were told they would do full replacement and cap the outside with aluminum color of our choice.
The salesman spoke for about a minute about their transferrable lifetime warranty that he said covers "everything".
When I told him I am sure there had to be some exclusions, he said tornados, that is it. Asked for a copy so that I could look it over, but he did not have one. Said he would fax one over along with the list of some jobs they have done in the area, that was a week ago...no fax.
I appreciate your comment on the english speaking crews...I specifically asked that questions having run into that before.
I was told although not all on the crew would speak english, at least one member would. Disappointed to hear that you have proved that inaccurate. Need some more help and advice...please let me know what you think!

dutch

#5 Post by dutch »

kcppear wrote: their "go green discount" of an extra 10% off if you help them save energy by only making them have to come out once and sign on the dotted line the first night
That's a classic! Even high pressure salesmen are going green!
kcppear wrote: Said he would fax one over along with the list of some jobs they have done in the area, that was a week ago...no fax.

Need some more help and advice...please let me know what you think!
Why would you need more advice? You have been told they are not very good windows; you have experienced silly high pressure sales pitches; the fantastic warrany is so great, they wont give you a copy; they appear to be the only vinyl window company that charges "a lot more" for a taupe or almond color, etc. etc.

Seriously, you don't need any expert to answer your questions. Most people would have moved on and forgot that kind of dog and pony act. So, the question, really is for you--why are you so infatuated with this window? You say you read this board, why don't you start getting quotes from the brands that are given decent reviews? It almost seems like you think this is the only window in the world and you desperately want to make it work. But every time you add more info, you just give more reasons why this company is the type that most people wouldn't even consider dealing with.

buddy110

#6 Post by buddy110 »

I have to agree with Dutch. All the warning signs are there, no warrantee. :shock: "go green salesman" :lol: etc, etc. Find a better window and a reputable company. It appears Feldco does not meet that criteria.

Keep un in the loop and good luck.

kcppear

#7 Post by kcppear »

Thanks again for the responses. Actually as it turns out I followed your advice even before I got it. Thanks for the confirmation that I did the right thing by moving on. I added all the extra details in my last post so if there was anyone else considering Feldco they would have an idea of what they were in for.

I have requested a quote from someone on this board and I am looking forward to seeing what they have to offer.

I am in the chicago suburbs. Seems like alot of what is available has to do with location? What would be the best available to me in this area? You said other companies do not charge more for colors, happy to hear that. Might be a dumb question....are there any windows that are colored on the outside but white on the interior side?

Window4U (IL)

#8 Post by Window4U (IL) »

kcppear wrote:You said other companies do not charge more for colors, happy to hear that. Might be a dumb question....are there any windows that are colored on the outside but white on the interior side?
Many brands have colors on the outside and white on the inside. For example, I'll pick a couple brands I carry for example. Softlite Elements has a laminate exterior that can provide this in many colors and with a lifetime warranty on the finish. Sunrise has a co-extruded two-tone extrusion that also does the same.
There are painted exteriors available in many brands but the laminated or co-extruded finishes are more durable and have a better warranty.
There is an extra charge for two-tone colors in any brand that has them ...but nothing that breaks the bank.

kcppear

#9 Post by kcppear »

Thanks Window4U!

I am very interested in seeing what you have to offer! Ok to call you in the morning to set up an appointment?

Window4U (IL)

#10 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Yes, morning will be fine. Thanks for contacting me through my 'Get a Quote' button.