Looking for advice on new construction

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
leeland

Looking for advice on new construction

#1 Post by leeland »

My wife and I are building sometime in the very near future. (2 story / 4 bedroom / 3000 sq./ft.)

We had someone draw the plans and then also gave a bid. We also took the plans to another builder for a bid.

Builder #1 bid all vinyl windows (single hung from Silver Line) Originally stated they were Andersen single hung until I questioned them on it...

After researching the company (Silverl ine) I totally shut that down and they offered an equal level of pella windows.

Builder #2 bid all wood Andersen 200 series windows double hung.

I have been reading a ton on the net trying to get educated on windows and have gone from feeling dumb, to smart, to confused :)

My questions are the following:

We kind of hammered out the design of the windows to keep within our budget. Now the wife doesn't know if she wants wood windows and thinks Vinyl is a better idea regarding maintenance and other things.

I am more concerned about performance myself and also looks second.

In our old 'starter' home we had terrible wood windows (that I can only assume were the lowest of low on quality) that got mold and major condensation on the interior of the window and required us to put plastic up. the were single pane windows. After doing a lot of reading it wasn't totally the window that caused this but I was still not happy with the old windows.

We are desperately trying to avoid that in the new home and want to get the best window we can (at least I do :) ).

I have looked at Andersen windows online and also am working on a quote from a Marvin dealer...

Does anyone have a major preference between vinyl / fiberglass / wood? If wood windows are ok (Andersen 200 and 400) series I would probably just stick with what we have been quoted.

If there are poor reviews or opinions I guess I had better understand why and start looking at the next best option.

Any help is appreciated.

Lee

BTW I live in central Wisconsin...and have been trying to read on the different ratings of windows and how they affect where you live and what are the key values we should be concerned about when picking windows.

I have posted on another forum and got responses of other window companies such as Gorrell...Simonton and Onka...these all look like superior windows to what we were originally quoted...so I am looking for advice if possible or a direction to go from here to make the best decision.

Our new home has about 32 windows in it which mostly comprirse of double hung and we are hoping to modify that slightly to include a couple of picture windows and casement windows (living room and dinette) Otherwise they will be double hung.

The dinette and living room will get the most sun exposure along with one bedroom.

Any help is appreciated to get me on the right track. Our initial bid with builder #2 for all the windows (Andersen 200 series wood) was around 10 grand.

Thanks again!

Lee