Looking for Perfect Window - Combine Elements with Okna 500

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Veekay

Looking for Perfect Window - Combine Elements with Okna 500

#1 Post by Veekay »

I'm looking for the perfect window out here in Northern Virginia.

I like the thinner frames on the Okna 500 Windows.
I love the "hidden integrated tilt latch and lock system" of the Soft-Lite Elements window, something that does not seem to be brought up here when comparing the Elements and Imperial LS Windows.

Is there a window that combines both of these?

The only other window I have heard of that offers the hidden latch is the Interstate TruView window, but it doesn't seem to be as good as either the Oknas or the SoftLites.

Does anyone know a manufacturer that combines the design strength and quality of the Okna/Element AND uses a hidden latch?

Thank you for any suggestions!

ZAPAS

Re: Looking for Perfect Window - Combine Elements with Okna 500

#2 Post by ZAPAS »

Look for American Jewel windows dealer. They have product with narrow vinyl and lock system that you described.
They also offer great glass package and warranty.
Do not forget find good installer. That is the key.

ranger

#3 Post by ranger »

the OP asked about the okna 500 and the soft lite elements window which are two of the best windows available...american jewel windows are not anywhere near the quality of the aforementioned.

ZAPAS

#4 Post by ZAPAS »

Ranger,
Can you put some facts here why Okna or Soft lite is better.
I think that this customer looking for specifics that Okna or Soft lite CAN NOT offer.
Veekay, It is worth of your time to check American Jewel windows if they are available in your area.
You won`t be sorry.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Gorell Timeless = latch-lock plus (integrated lock/tilt latch) and narrow frame/sash profile. :D .. To be fair, the numbers are a tick lower than the Elements/500, but it is a highly regarded product nonetheless and a solid performer.

Veekay

#6 Post by Veekay »

Excellent. I think this looks like the window I may have been looking for.

Thank you very much!

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Elements latch option is very nice.

Take a look at the windows from the exterior as most of those integrated mechanisms show their latch above the stile of the lower sash.

If you cannot hide the latches, why not make them out of a custom metal hardware to highlight them instead. Take a look at the Okna 800 with custom hardware of the Simonton 9800 with custom hardware.

Veekay

#8 Post by Veekay »

Eh, that'll be everyone else's problem. I like the simple look of having minimal hardware on the frame itself. Less to clean as well...

Thanks.

Does anyone know what the price difference (roughly) is between the Elements windows and the Gorell Timeless? Are they direct competitors?

I couldn't find much detailed info on the Timeless series. I was wondering if they had a posted their air infiltration allowance. (Elements I think is at .01, Okna is at .02) I'm trying to figure out if these Gorell's are in the same neighborhood or if they're at the more common .16 neighborhood.

Thanks again!!

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

The Gorell Timeless has an air leakage rating in the teens. Personally I feel as though Softlite's literature exaggerates the effect/importance of the AI rating, however it is a much debated issue, so I will leave it at that. As far as being direct competitors, I guess it depends on your criteria. Pricing could vary from one dealer to another. Are they both considered high-quality vinyl products: Yes. As I mentioned previously, the Elements will have performance numbers that are a notch better, however in my own experience, Gorell has had superior quality control, as well as the extra glass area (on that model). Your original post was "looking for perfect window", so in that sense, I'd say that there is no such thing. You'll have some type of trade-off one way or another.... What I can say, is that any of the products mentioned so far, with the exception of American Jewel (I'm not familiar with that product) will serve you well. You'll just have to prioritize. :D

buddy110

#10 Post by buddy110 »

HomeSealed wrote:The Gorell Timeless has an air leakage rating in the teens. Personally I feel as though Softlite's literature exaggerates the effect/importance of the AI rating, however it is a much debated issue, so I will leave it at that. As far as being direct competitors, I guess it depends on your criteria. Pricing could vary from one dealer to another. As I mentioned previously, the Elements will have performance numbers that are a notch better, however in my own experience, Gorell has had superior quality control, as well as the extra glass area (on that model). Your original post was "looking for perfect window", so in that sense, I'd say that there is no such thing. You'll have some type of trade-off one way or another.... What I can say, is that any of the products mentioned so far, with the exception of American Jewel (I'm not familiar with that product) will serve you well. You'll just have to prioritize. :D

+1. Gorell's QC and CS is second to none. They make a great product.

Veekay

#11 Post by Veekay »

OK, I have Gorell Timeless people coming by tomorrow. Looking forward to where they come in.

So far I have the SoftLite Elements, Imperial LS and Okna 500 at the same price, approximately $500 a window.
I prefer the aesthetics of the Okna, but they are at the top end, pricewise. Softlites are at the low end here.
The Interstate TrueView 6300 ended up being over $600 a window. Yikes.

The Softlite Barringtons and Interstate TrueView 4000s are both in the mid to upper $300s per opening.

I have Gorrel and Simonton stopping by tomorrow.

After that I'll make a decision. I have a second Okna & Softlite rep on standby to make sure I have the right price.

I would imagine that I either go cheap and buy the Barrington or go all out and get the Oknas.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

That's some pretty aggressive pricing on the Softlites, it may be hard to beat... Either way, at least you'll have seen several top choices, that way you can choose whichever suits you best. Be sure to take the installation company into consideration as well. It is a critical aspect of window performance.

Veekay

#13 Post by Veekay »

I just wished that the Softlites looked better!

With all of the data coming in so close to each other, I'm afraid aesthetic preference will be the ultimate tie breaker between these companies!