Need help replacing basement windows w/ sliding vinyl?

For those self-installers
stu pidasso

Need help replacing basement windows w/ sliding vinyl?

#1 Post by stu pidasso »

Hey Guys! I am about to replace my metal framed windows with a sliding vinyl window with a screen. My question is: How do I mount the window to the cement blocks? I can caulk/foam to seal them up, but I'm clueless on how to mount the window to the cement block?

Also, my opening is 16" high, but just a hair under 32" wide(it's like 31 7/8"). Do I need to order special windows? And what do I order? As close to the window opening measurements as possible, or order smaller to have room for caulk/insulation/trim/etc...?

My goal is to be able to slide the window open horizontally, so the summer breeze can come into a basement office through a screen. Thanks guys!

-Jimi

Windows on Washington

Re: Need help replacing basement windows w/ sliding vinyl?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Pictures will help elicit more feedback in this case.

Are you pulling the entire aluminum frame?

TLHWINDOWS

#3 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

Typical for us in block houses here, is to measure block to block and then take a 1/4" off of the smallest measure (Aluminum Frame out). That would be if you are going to mount without furring strips.

If you are going to use furring strips then take that into account for your measurments.

If you go block to block, then you will typically use Tapcons. Pre drill your mounting holes and then drill the block with a Hammer Drill and bit. Mount the window (level, shims, etc) with the Tapcons.

The other way is to use 2x4's. Measure your opening, then take off for 2x4 framing around the window opening (and your 1/4") for your window size. Mount the 2x4's with Tapcons and then slide your window in and mount it with recular pan head screws.

Trim out the way you want to. Don't over torque the tapcons or they will strip out.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

As stated measure MO deduct 1/4" from both widthe and height.
Maybe frame jump or pull the existing. Screw window in with concrete screws, foam, then caulk.