Alside windows & window World

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
wwrich1

Alside windows & window World

#1 Post by wwrich1 »

I see alot of jealousy in some comments concerning alside windows, especially concerning window world that I would like to make a comment or two on. First of all keep in mind that a window is like ordering a new car, you can have the standard stereo or you can option the high end stereo etc, its the same with a window! WW orders their windows with many upgrades, at least in the middle tn area like double strength glass, insulative wrap on the exterior master frame, steel all the way through the meeting rails, their locks are still powder coated metal, not plastic, extruded aluminum screens (no plastic corners) & of course, its a pure vinyl window. My brother owns a local window co. & he sells the Alside window but he also sells Vista & Anderson vinyl windows also. My point is this, for someone to say that the Alside window is not a premium window is like nobama saying that they still don't know what happened in Benghazi ! Its just not true. Another VERY IMPORTANT point some of you seem to have pleasure in overlooking is that, not only does Window World have the best warranty in the country, they also have the highest possibility of being around to service that warranty, since their about 3 to 5 times larger as a retailer, than any other co. out their!

TommyJ

Re: Alside windows & window World

#2 Post by TommyJ »

wwrich1 wrote:I see alot of jealousy in some comments concerning alside windows, especially concerning window world that I would like to make a comment or two on. First of all keep in mind that a window is like ordering a new car, you can have the standard stereo or you can option the high end stereo etc, its the same with a window! WW orders their windows with many upgrades, at least in the middle tn area like double strength glass, insulative wrap on the exterior master frame, steel all the way through the meeting rails, their locks are still powder coated metal, not plastic, extruded aluminum screens (no plastic corners) & of course, its a pure vinyl window. My brother owns a local window co. & he sells the Alside window but he also sells Vista & Anderson vinyl windows also. My point is this, for someone to say that the Alside window is not a premium window is like nobama saying that they still don't know what happened in Benghazi ! Its just not true. Another VERY IMPORTANT point some of you seem to have pleasure in overlooking is that, not only does Window World have the best warranty in the country, they also have the highest possibility of being around to service that warranty, since their about 3 to 5 times larger as a retailer, than any other co. out their!
Rich,

It is tough to tell where to start with your post. It is a bit rambling with reference from everything from a mixture of terminology, upgrades claims (most of which are detractors) and politics.

Lets try to break this down a bit.

If you car analogy is true, than ordering a Kia with an upgrade stereo is like ordering a BMW with an upgraded stereo. The cars (windows in this case) are quite different at the core.

The Window World window (Alside Excalibur most often and Sheffield on the others) are fair to midland windows depending on who you ask. The air leakage numbers are high, the frames (Excalibur) are not exactly strong and the bulkiness (Sheffield) is significant.

Steel is not a great option in a meeting rail unless the window's frame requires it. When you put steel in a window, you downgrade the thermal performance and introduce another condensation surface.

The air infiltration numbers on the Excalibur are mediocre (0.15) and the Sheffield they are worse (0.22).

The Excalibur has a bit of a flimsy frame even though the DP numbers aren't bad.

The Sheffield uses a pocket sill window that is converted to a sloped sill window. Not a good idea right there either.

Some of your "benefits" are hilarious. Plastic locks? Who uses plastic locks?

Double strength glass is pretty standard on most good replacements. Not a really big differentiator there.

Open cell foam wrap is worthless for the most part unless you are spray foaming.

Name me one window out there that is not 100% virgin vinyl too. :roll:

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

Double-strength glass is mandatory on $100 windows installed by subs with helpers making just enough money per day to purchase a six pack and some smokes. I've seen the way these windows are shipped and rough housed by these hacks. If double-strength glass wasn't included 1/2 the windows would show up to the jobsite with broken glass.

Pick any experienced formally trained mechanic in any trade out there and they will all tell you that they prefer to work with good materials and good tools. Alside, Silverline, and Pella Therma Star are the equivalent to a Harbor Freight tool except for one exception, one can throw a cheap tool in the garbage and lesson learned. Windows should be one time purchase for most folks.

wwrich1

#4 Post by wwrich1 »

Delaware, dont cry so hard, window world may hire you if you ask nicely ! You must be trying to rip everyone off with one of those 700$ apiece windows that everyone sells, so I can understand your frustration, let me just leave you with this, ...numbers DONT LIE, Window World blows every other window company in the US. away in sales!! So you can complain, or join the winning team!

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

If you live in a glass house you shouldn't throw rocks. Especially, if you throw like the guy from the Volkswagen commercial. I'll let you in on a little secret, once WW adds in all the things that are necessary to actually perform the job correctly, they're at the same price I'm at on my installed prices for windows that absolutely shame their low-grade stuff. There isn't a Window World installer on the planet that can begin to even mimic my capping work or the way I give value to my homeowners. I chose my profession by leaving a very short and frustrating stint with an outfit that was one of those overpriced blue suede shoe type of overpriced marketing outfits.

I could make a ton more money I'm sure if I opened up a some random window $189 me too franchise but that' not what I'm about in life. I'm not in this business to make as money as possible, I love what I do. I keep a NJ Union Millwright book and could work almost non stop on overtime refinery/nuclear jobs if desired and make a ton of cash, again I love installing windows are doors and like working with the good stuff, which isn't anything you know a darn thing about.

If you can't see or tell the difference between a $125 window and a $225 window you have no idea being in the construction trades and I feel terrible for anyone that has the displeasure of being acquainted with you.

It would be impossible for me to lose business to a WW dealer as I can get their same window tax free or any other window in that category and install it cheaper than that of WW as I'm the installer and I'm fine with giving the guys off for a day or so if needed.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Everyone has a place to fill in this business so I could care less about WW. I don't compete with them. The last time I did was over 10 years ago. So good luck to them...
But, just because they are big because of all the franchises they have means nothing. They could go out of business just as fast as any other company. The recession has shown us that.
Their company was founded in 1995. Several of us here had been in business for 20 years the year they started. I would think that shows more longevity than how many franchises they've sold. Just my opinion of course.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Wwrich is absolutely correct about one thing: numbers don't lie.... As in u value and air infiltration. Two objective ratings where the product in questions falls a bit short of the top offerings on the market. Those two ratings tell a tremendous tale as to the quality of a window unit in my opinion and experience .
Another number to consider: 50%. Back when I was installing as a subcontractor, that is the pay cut that I would have taken if I wanted to install for them. In my own past experience and what I still see today, the best installers command top pay. One can draw their own conclusions as to how that fact will affect the quality of an installation.

fridge2020

#8 Post by fridge2020 »

The only jealousy that I see is coming from wwrich. Like windows4u said, every business model has a place in the market, and these web boards are an oasis in a desert of people that care only about price. The sand is endless my friend, there will always be people that will buy the cheapest windows that they can get their hands on, so just be happy with that. Please give consumers credit, and don't try to convince them that they are getting a porterhouse for the price of a fast food burger. They aren't. They are getting a fast food burger plain and simple, and for some people that is just fine.

bgbrock

#9 Post by bgbrock »

From a consumer's perspective- as I am not a pro window installer or window dealer - I would purchase anything that the pros on this forum recommended, moreover I would trust their installation.

After countless hours researching windows and lurking on the forums, Alside and WW windows may be a a mediocre window at best, with questionable installation procedures for the most part (depending on the contractor) For me, I would stick with Sunrise and Okna products.

To the pros here - keep up the great work of offering information to the uneducated consumers!

TommyJ

#10 Post by TommyJ »

Rich,

You are absolutely right about the quality. These look like really quality units and an even better install.

Sarcasm alert :idea:

Nice bowing detail in the meeting rail

Nice bow at the head

Excellent workmanship and caulking :roll:

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#11 Post by masterext »

Tommy J
You are right on the money, these alside windows are obviously bowed/ warped and the caulking job looks likemit was done by a blind man with a sense of humor.

As for window world, they sell the low quality windows at a low cost and use low cost labor. Real nice business model..NOT ....

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

That frame is bent at the head jamb as well.

wwrich1

#13 Post by wwrich1 »

Still, all im hearing is jealousy! Its pretty insane to tout a statement like "WW. installers are crap, ha, thats true in almost any business, you have talented people that care about their work & people who dont, let me flip this coin on ya,...one of our top installers that's been with us for many years said this, "I could go to work almost anywhere & make more money per window, but I would work maybe 3 days a week, with WW I work every day!" So you see its not always about the dollar, you guys are tripping over a handful of fifty dollar bills to get to a hundred dollar bill! Heres the other part, I sell about 8.5 of every 10 customers I visit, know why, because after the smoke all clears, & all the window presentations have been seen, the customer (not me) decides that if they ever want to see any return on their investment, they decide not to buy your over priced 600 to 1000$ apiece windows!!!!! What good does it do to spend thousands more for a window that MIGHT be slightly better, that your never going to see a return on until the year 2095? Folks buy windows TO SAVE MONEY ON ENERGY. So, if your a potential customer & your foolish enough to spend money on a window that you will never see back,....be my guest!

Delaware Mike

#14 Post by Delaware Mike »

The only WW yard signs that I see in my home town are out in front of the trailer park.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#15 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Rich, please defend the pictures above instead of giving us a silly delusional rant.